The technology park THOR Waterschei is currently in full development, establishing interesting connections between different expertises such as research & development, innovation, business, talent development and urbanization. This THOR site (93 hectares), accommodates:
- MOTHOR, a high-quality business park,
- the T2 CAMPUS, an innovative technology education cluster,
- BUSINESS and ACTIVITY CENTER
- SCIENCE PARK where the INCUBATHOR and the new research center EnergyVille were yet started.
Energyville unites the research departments KULeuven, VITO, IMEC and Hasselt University for research into renewable energy sources and intelligent energy systems. Energyville strives to be among the top five in Europe and wants to secure a leading position globally in carefully chosen areas of interest. It wants to give an incentive for business development, research and job creation within THOR science park.
The project includes three technical work packages that examine specific opportunities that arise in the urban context:
- SolSThore focuses on photovoltaic (PV) systems, highly integrated buildings, coupled with the intelligent electricity grid and battery storage
- GeoWatt focuses on bringing thermal networks of the 4th generation, which balance the local demand and supply of heat and cold from user groups
- SmarThor examines the modified techno-economic framework to achieve CO2-neutral, smart energy clusters by interweaving of electrical and thermal energy vectors.