BRAIN-be (Belgian Research Action through Interdisciplanary Networks) is a recurring research programme by the federal science policy which runs throughout the 2012 - 2017 period.
The programme is build around 6 thematic pillars:
- Ecosystems, biodiversity, evolution
- Geosystems, universe and climate
- Cultural, historical and scientific heritage
- Strategies of the federal government
- Important societal challenges
- Management of the collection
The BRAIN-be programme finances two types of research projects:
- networking projects (with a duration of four years and a possibility for projects of two years);
- pioneering projects of a maximum of two years.
The BRAIN-be programme is open to the entire scientific community in Belgium: universities, university colleges, public scientific institutions and research centres.
- Networking projects: min. 2 different scientific institutions participate in a networking project. The participation of a Federal Scientific Institution and cooperation between institutions from both parts of the country is encouraged;
- Pioneering projects: only a Federal Scientific Institution (FWI) can submit an application in the format of a one-partner-project, or in the format of a network of which the FWI is the coordinator.