International students

Incoming international students

International students

Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


EEA students

As a resident of a country that is part of the EEA you should have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

When you see a doctor or a specialist, you will be given a "certificate of services provided". In some cases, the pharmacist will also provide you with a document for refund purposes (certificate model 704). Bring these certificates, together with your EHIC, to the mutual health insurance office. Also remember to bring your bank account number. The mutual health insurance fund prefers to make payment into a Belgian account. If you only have a foreign bank account number, bring your International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and the BIC or SWIFT code with you, together with your passport.

Non-EEA students

If you are from a non-EEA country, you must be registered with the health insurance fund CM (Christelijke mutualiteit) and will also be automatically registered for comprehensive insurance under a scheme called SIP (Student Insurance Program). This comprehensive insurance is mandatory for all non-EEA students studying at Hasselt University.

1. Health insurance fund: CM Limburg

Students enrolled for a full year must first register with CM Limburg. You will receive the necessary documents during the orientation day, or you can come to the international office. Don't forget to bring your student address.

Once you have registered with CM Limburg, you will receive yellow identification stickers at your student address. The yellow identification stickers are to be affixed to all refund application documents you send to the health insurance fund.

Health insurance on average covers approximately 75% of medical bills. Some (critical) medical expenses are fully refunded. In Belgium, you are free to choose your care provider. Doctors can either be in private practice or attached to a hospital. Most doctors in Belgium speak English fairly well. Always take cash with you to the doctor. You will have to pay the fee immediately after the consultation. Only a few doctors accept electronic forms of payment.

If you need to cancel your CM-subscription', just fill in this form and return it to the CM-office in Diepenbeek.

2. Student Insurance Program: SIP

SIP is a comprhensive insurance which is mandatory for all non-EEA students studying at Hasselt University. 
Detailed information on the contents of the Student Insurance Program can be found in the following document: SIP insurance or on

3. How to obtain a refund

How to obtain a refund? 


Documents for obtaining a refund from SIP: