All Flemish universities jointly launch the brand new iBOF-programme, which cofunds interuniversity projects. Within the iBOF programme, excellent, frontier or blue sky research will be funded, in a collaboration (consortium) of at least 3 promoters at at least 2 Flemish universities.
An iBOF project brings together top researchers (whether or not in combination with promising researchers with great potential) who, through such an interuniversity project, will (further) promote Flanders at an international level by deepening or broadening scientific knowledge and increasing capacity building in a sustainable partnership. The applying consortium must submit a concerted research proposal with a duration of 4 years, in which each promoter provides essential expertise for the realization of the proposal. At the same time, the promoters must be complementary to each other and/or mutually reinforcing as they need each other to be able to carry out the project in synergy. They may have worked together in the past, but this is not a requirement.
Proposals from all domains are possible, whether interdisciplinary or not.
Amount: The total amount that can be requested per promoter varies between 400.000 and 800.000 euros with a maximum of 3.000.000 euros per consortium. The requested budget is realistic and in accordance with the intended work packages.
NOTE: At UHasselt it is ONLY possible to apply for a total amount of €400.000,- for the four years.
Who can apply for an iBOF project?
- Minimum 3 promoters (cf. iBOF regulations) of at least 2 Flemish universities.
- 1 of the promoters acts as coordinator-spokesperson
for the consortium. The coordinator-spokesperson is primarily responsible for the good collaboration of the consortium and is the single point of contact.
- Applications should be submitted by one promoter, who will act as coordinator-spokesperson of the consortium at their Research Coordination Office.
- The promoters are top researchers (or promising researchers with great potential), who have an excellent track record (international excellence), who have essential expertise for the project, who are complementary and there needs to be synergy between promoters and copromoters. More specific criteria can be found in the iBOF regulations.
- Per promoter, one or more co-promoters affiliated with the same university as the promoter with whom they join, can participate.
- A researcher can only be involved in 1 iBOF application.
- Additional restrictions of who can act as promoter or co-promoter can be found in the iBOF regulations.
NOTE: For the first iBOF call, there are no incompatibilities with current BOF and/or IOF projects, neither for the applying promoters nor for the applying co-promoters. Promoters and co-promoters who acquire an iBOF project in the context of the iBOF call 2019 will not be able to participate in the next iBOF call 2021.
Submission data - deadlines?
The selection procedure consists of 2 phases.
1. Interuniversity preselection of the declarations of intent
- Deadline: 5 December 2019: the coordinator-spokesperson submits the application in English to his/her university.
NOTE: Declarations of intent are binding with regard to the composition of the consortium: after the intention phase, promoters or co-promoters can no longer be added on the initiative of the applicants.
2. Selection of full proposals by an international panel
- Deadline 31 May 2020: the coordinator-spokesperson submits the full application (in English) to his/her own university.
5 December 2019: deadline for submission of declarations of intent - application form
31 March 2020: announcement of admission to the second selection phase
31 May 2020: deadline for submitting final applications
June-August 2020: remote peer review
Early September 2020: deadline rebuttals coordinator-spokespersons
September or October 2020: presentation of the applying consortia to and evaluation by the international panel
October-December 2020: interuniversity and university decision on the awarding of the projects
1 January 2021: start of iBOF projects