Logo UHasselt


International students

Going abroad

International students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


Registration at the host institution

Hasselt University notifies the host institution of your arrival (= "nomination"). Once signed up, you will receive information regarding the steps you will have to take to register directly with your host institution ("admission" or "registration"). Do take a look at the website of your host institution and comply with their procedures and deadlines. Often the host institution requires you to provide some general details, such as the address and the Erasmus code of your home institution. You can find this information in the attached document.

Student agreement (grant agreement for Erasmus students)

All students who receive an Erasmus scholarship sign a grant agreement. By signing this document, they declare that they are aware of and agree with the conditions attached to the scholarship. You can download this student agreement from your student file and you must file an original and signed copy with the international office before your departure.

Flemish Community study grant

Students who are entitled to a study grant from the Flemish Community receive it in addition to their Erasmus scholarship. Please make sure that you submit your application in time.

Child support benefits

Upon registration with Hasselt University you will receive a certificate to apply for child support benefits. This is the only certificate you will have to submit to the child support benefits fund as an Erasmus student. Do not submit any certificates from your foreign host institution, in order to avoid any problems.

Students with a functional impairment

Are you a student with a specific functional impairment and are you interested to go abroad? Please contact the disability officer: Els Swijns (Els.Swijns@uhasselt.be).

Language preparation

Students who go abroad with the Erasmus programme have to complete a compulsory language course before departure via the Online Linguistic Support tool of the European Commission. They will automatically receive an invitation to do so. In case it is necessary, they can also be assigned an online language course.
Often it is possible to attend a language course in your host country. Should you need to pay an enrolment fee for this course and this course is for credits (ECTS), you can apply for a (partial) refund. You will need to upload proof of payment and a testimonial and/or certificate (which clearly indicates your name, the nature, duration and dates of the course, the name and address of the organising institutions and the price of the course) in your student file.


The collective accident insurance of Hasselt University will continue to apply throughout your stay abroad. Every insured accident must immediately be reported to the Insurance Office of Hasselt University. Should you unexpectedly have to return to Belgium during your Erasmus stay, you are not covered by the insurance of Hasselt University. For these types of situations you have to sign up for repatriation or travel assistance insurance with a private insurer prior to departure. If you cause an accident, you are usually covered by the family insurance policy of your parents. Make sure that you check this prior to departure with your insurer.

Make sure you inform your health insurance provider that you will be moving abroad for study purposes for a set period of time, to ensure that you will remain covered by your health insurance. You can find a certificate to do so in your student file. Your health insurance will issue you with a European health insurance card. With this card you can have (part of) your health-related costs paid back by the health insurance of your host country as a member state of the European Union or a country belonging to the European Economic Area.


Do you wish to let your room to another (foreign) student during your stay abroad? Make sure your landlord agrees and then inform the student administration office.

Hasselt University does not reserve a room abroad. Erasmus students are responsible for arranging the practical side of the exchange (i.e. housing). For more information you can contact the international office, the responsible Erasmus contact and the website of the host institution, as well as students who have already completed a study period at your chosen host institution.

Residence permits

Determine a few months prior to your departure whether you need a new passport and a visa. It is your own responsibility to apply for these documents on time.

Upon arrival in your host country, you should undertake the following steps:

  • Register with the Erasmus coordinator and/or the international office of your host university.
  • Register with the Central Administrative Office of your host university and request proof of registration.
  • In some countries you will also have to register with the police or with a municipal office.
  • Inform your Erasmus coordinator of the definitive composition of your curriculum. The coordinator will ensure that the Examination Board is informed.


Your study abroad in your host country forms an integral part of your studies in Hasselt / Diepenbeek: it is Hasselt University which awards you a diploma. You therefore have to register as a student with Hasselt University. You do not pay the host institution a tuition fee. All information regarding registration with Hasselt University is available at the deliberation and at the student secretariat.

Taking exams

At the student secretariat of your faculty you can find out the dates on which you can register for exams or deregister as a student. The examination regulations take into consideration the situation of students who have not returned to Hasselt / Diepenbeek in time to sit their exams in January.

Reporting upon return

Upon your return, you must file a "certificate of stay" (or "statement of host institution") in which the host institution confirms the exact term of your stay.
Erasmus students must complete the survey by the European Commission in time (you will receive a link in your e-mail). In addition, your programme/faculty may request additional reporting. All students are expected to participate in the exchange information market in the following academic year to inform other students of their experiences.