The Chemistry Department of Hasselt University comprises three experimental research groups, i.e. Organic and (Bio)Polymer Chemistry (OBPC), Inorganic and Physical Chemistry (IPC), and Applied and Analytical Chemistry (TANC). The OBPC group combines five IMO-IMOMEC subgroups with a specific focus and expertise, collaborating closely and sharing equipment and responsibilities:
- Design & Synthesis of Organic Semiconductors (DSOS) – Prof. dr Wouter Maes, Prof. dr Dirk Vanderzande
- Hybrid Materials Design (HyMaD) – Prof. dr Dirk Vanderzande
- Polymer Reaction Design (PRD) – Prof. dr Tanja Junkers
- NMR spectroscopy (NMR) – Prof. dr Peter Adriaensens
- Biomolecule Design Group (BDG) – Prof. dr Wanda Guedens, Prof. dr Peter Adriaensens
At present, the OBPC group gathers over 50 people (mostly PhD students), among which 6 staff members. The general financial and project management of the OBPC group is in the hands of dr. Laurence Lutsen.