Hasselt University (UHasselt; located in the north-east part of Belgium) is a young and dynamic center of expertise for teaching, research, and service provision. UHasselt regards an active contribution to a sustainable and innovative region as its social responsibility. It aspires to be a hub in this innovation web. Hasselt University therefore attaches great importance to cooperation with other centers of expertise, companies, government agencies, and organizations in Limburg and beyond.
As one of the drivers of regional innovation, Hasselt University focuses specifically on:
● educating students so that they become highly skilled, employable professionals;
● conducting applied and fundamental research in specific fields and encouraging practical applications from that research;
● spreading its knowledge and expertise through collaboration with industry and other external partners;
● developing foreign partnerships.
Basic principles in the implementation of these key roles are academic and scientific freedom, social engagement, attention to ethical standards and awareness of wider implications, without ideological discrimination. For Hasselt University, the development of the human potential of all its students and staff comes first.
Hasselt University is a young university, founded in 1973 as the ‘Limburgs University Centre' (LUC). It has witnessed a strong growth over the past four decades. Last academic year, Hasselt University counted 6.395 students (in 17 Bachelor and 23 Master programs), 522 doctoral students (of which 38% international), and 1.296 staff members. The university has 6 faculties (Architecture and Arts, Business Managements, Medicine and Life Sciences, Engineering Technology, Law, and Sciences) and a School of Transportation Sciences.
Research is mainly organized within 6 research institutes:
• Biomedical Research Institute (BIOMED)
• Centre for Environmental Sciences (CMK)
• Centre for Statistics (I-BioStat)
• Expertise Centre for Digital Media (EDM)
• Institute for Materials Research (IMO-IMOMEC)
• Transportation Research Institute (IMOB)
Hasselt University was listed among the top 3% higher education institutions according to U-Multirank 2020. For the first time, UHasselt has also been included in the international QS Ranking. Of the 1002 top institutions included, UHasselt ranks 456th. Hasselt University has also risen to 46th place in the Times Higher Education Young University ranking. Our university is therefore in the top 50 for the first time.
Hasselt University's headquarters are in the Old Prison (Oude Gevangenis, Martelarenlaan) on Hasselt Campus. The facilities of the Sciences Faculty/IMO-IMOMEC are located on the nearby Diepenbeek Campus (Wetenschapspark/Agoralaan). Students can easily commute by public transport between the two campuses.