Logo UHasselt


International students

Incoming international students

International students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action



programmes |  admission requirements |  application process |  tuition fee |  practical |  students |  graduated

Can the University help to obtain my visa?

Visa applications are the responsibility of the incoming student. The university does not have any influence on the procedure.
The role of Hasselt University is limited to providing an admission letter, some practical information and, on demand, a letter to proof your solvency.

ATTENTION: Students should not enter Belgium with a tourist visa if they intend to stay longer than 90 days or three months.


What is the proof of solvency?

When applying for a visa or a residence permit, students are asked to proof their solvency. Depending on the country, one of the following proofs of solvency may apply:

  • A document certifying that the student has been awarded a study grant or scholarship 
  • An agreement for acceptance of financial responsibility (letter of a guarantee) by the so-called Annex 32 (can be done from your home country or in Belgium)
  • A proof of your own financial means by transferring a certain amount to a blocked bank account in Belgium on your name.

In case you would like to use the last option (proof your own financial means), Hasselt University can assist you and provide you a letter to proof solvency.

Preliminary notes:

  • for year students, the amount for a full year must be transferred at once (13 months)
  • for semester students, 5 or 6 months must be paid for
  • payment can only be done as described in the document below
  • pls. allow at least 10 days between sending the money and receiving your certificate

All students/guests who need proof of solvency are referred to this document, which describes the full procedure.

For applications for 2019-2020 the final amount is 675 EURO/month.



What are the living costs in Belgium?

Living standards are quite high in Belgium. Therefore, all international students and guests of Hasselt University are advised to make sure that they have the financial means for a stay in Belgium, before they leave their home country.

The following are average costs. These amounts do not include travel expenses, nor expenses of (touristic) trips in Belgium and surrounding countries, leisure expenses, transport, tuition fees, etc.
Please note that the amounts may change yearly and may vary according to your personal needs. If your partner or family members will come along to Hasselt, the extra costs need to be calculated as well.


Cost Type Average cost in EURO
Accommodation (please note that the utilities costs such as water, electricity, internet, etc. are not always included in the rent) €265-€330/month
Catering (warm meal in the student restaurant at the campus) €3,65-€5,50/meal
Health insurance (compulsory) €40/month
Textbooks etc. €650


How to register for health insurance?

All residents in Belgium are required by law to be covered by a health insurance policy. Each student at UHasselt is responsible for taking out his own health insurance. Non-EEA-Students enrolled at UHasselt or tUL must register with a Belgian health insurance fund and obtain a comprehensive health insurance, for the duration of their studies at the UHasselt/tUL.

Hasselt University insists that all non-EEU students (EU-students are typically covered via their local insurance) enroll into the so-called SIP (Student Insurance Program) at www.sipinsurance.eu. The company name is MARSH.
After payment of the fee, you will receive a certificate, that you should then upload into your student file.
Please make sure you use the exact same name and surname as for your enrolment at Hasselt University or send it to marc.thoelen@uhasselt.be
If you have a personal health insurance equivalent to the SIP-insurance, please upload a certificate of this insurance into your student file or send it to marc.thoelen@uhasselt.be
For more info, please contact marc.thoelen@uhasselt.be


How to look for student housing?

Accommodation is arranged ONLY for VLIR-ICP Scholarship students.All other foreign students should find accommodation by themselves.
One option is to use the ‘accommodation pool’ put together by the Office for Student Affairs of UHasselt. This pool includes student rooms which are let under conditions controlled by the Office for Student Affairs. You can find information about the rooms in the pool

An alternative option is to rent accommodation from landlords not subscribing to the UHasselt pool or from private housing agencies.

Students who are not in Belgium before the 15th of September might encounter difficulties in finding a room. By that time there will be almost no rooms left on the list that is made available through the Office for Student Affairs. Note that the later you arrive, the larger the problem to find a room.