Logo UHasselt


Incoming international students

During your stay

Incoming international students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


Every non-EEA student needs to be in possession of a residence permit for students. Your right of residence as a non-EEA student is always limited to the duration of your studies. On the 27th of May 2018, the conditions for extending the stay of non-EEA students were refined.

It concerns:


  • the time limit for applying for the renewal of the temporary residence document (A card);


  • a change of procedure if missing documents are not submitted in time: from now on, the municipality will declare the renewal inadmissible under annex 29;
  • the possibility to end the possibility to terminate the stay due to insufficient progress made in the studies.

The conditions for obtaining the first authorisation to stay as a non-EEA student do not change.

Minimum period of 15 days for applying for renewal of a temporary residence document

The non-EEA student can apply for a renewal of his temporary residence permit no later than 15 days before the expiry date of the current residence permit, which used to be one month. However, we recommend that you apply for your residence permit as soon as you have all your exam results.

Clarification of the term 'insufficient progress in the studies'.

The Immigration Department (Dienst Vreemdelingen Zaken (DVZ) in Dutch) was able to end your stay if you prolonged your studies in an exaggerated manner. This is now specified in the new regulations.

As a student, whether you make sufficient progress in your studies to maintain your stay depends on the credits you obtained in your study programme. The number of credits you have to obtain depends on your study programme:


  • after 2 enrolments in the program, obtain at least 45 credits;
  • after 3 enrolments in the program, obtain at least 90 credits;
  • after 4 enrolments in the program, obtain at least 135 credits;
  • after 5 enrolments in your 180-credit bachelor's program, you must have obtained the diploma.


  • Whether or not combined with a transition or preparatory program, after 2 enrolments in the program you must obtain at least 60 credits;
  • Whether or not combined with a transition or preparatory program, after 3 enrolments in the program you must obtain at least 120 credits;

In addition, a master's programme of 60 credits can be obtained after 2 enrolments and a master's programme of 120 credits after 3 enrolments in the programme. If this master's programme is accompanied by a transition programme or a preparatory programme for 30 credits or more, the period within which the student's stay can be terminated will be extended by one extra year of study.

For the calculation of the number of 'obtained' credits, according to the new regulations, only the number of 'obtained' credits is taken into account:

1° the credits obtained in the current program;

2° the credits obtained from previous programs for which an exemption was granted in the current program;

Mind this please: these new rules are applied in addition to the existing study progress measures at UHasselt. You must therefore meet the study progress measures of UHasselt and the conditions set by the Immigration Department in order to be able to re-register at UHasselt. The Immigration Department (DVZ) will, however, take the imposed study progress monitoring measures into account if a student or the educational institution can validly provide proof of this.


A non-EEA student can reorient at all times, but needs to do well during his or her second enrolment. Credits obtained in the first enrolment in another course are only taken into account in the calculation insofar as they result in an exemption from the new course.

List of documents to be submitted for renewal of the student residence

The Royal Decree lists all documents which the non-EEA student is obliged to submit when applying for the renewal of the residence permit, under penalty of inadmissibility of the application:

  • Valid passport or any equal travel document
  •  Certificate of enrolment 
  • Certificate of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in accordance with Article 60 of the Residence Act
  • New compulsory standard document filled in by UHasselt which indicates:
    • the number of credits for which the student has already passed in the previous academic year
    • how many credits the student has already acquired in total in his study programme.