Logo UHasselt


Incoming international students


Incoming international students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


Which insurance do you have as a student at UHasselt?

As part of your activities as a student at UHasselt, you are automatically insured for: civil liability, legal assistance and accidents. If you are here as a student as part of an exchange programme, the insurance policies of your home institution will remain in force.

As a student, for what do you certainly need to take out an insurance?

Anyone living in Belgium (> 3 months) is obligated to insure themselves against illnesses. Students from within Europe are insured via EHIC. Students from outside Europe have to join a health insurance fund within one month after their arrival in Belgium.

Which costs are (partly) covered by this?

* Ambulatory care for doctors, specialists and dentists

* Medicines

* (Day) hospitalization

As a student, for what do you need to take out an insurance?

A large number of costs (including the company's own share of costs in case of hospitalization) are either only partially or not insured through the compulsory health insurance. It is therefore advisable to have additional insurance for hospitalization. In addition, it is also advisable to have insurance for civil liability and legal aid in personal expenditure.


The Student Insurance Program (SIP) is a special insurance package that covers people who are temporarily abroad. SIP has been specially developed for students, scientists, members of the educational staff and their accompanying family members (husband, wife and children). The SIP policy is valid worldwide. SIP insures, among other things, medical expenses, travel assistance, legal assistance, luggage, personal belongings and lastly civil liability.