Logo UHasselt


Incoming international students


Incoming international students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


Types of visa

Visa C (<3 months)

Incoming international students who stay in Belgium for less than three months must in some cases apply for a Schengen Visa (Visa C). European citizens/Europeans can travel within Belgium freely, as do those from certain non-EU countries. On the website (available in Dutch and French) of the Federal Public Service Home Affairs you can find a detailed list of the countries whose citizens do not need a visa to travel to Belgium.

If you want to apply for a Visa, please consult the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country. To apply for a Visa, you need in most cases the following documents:

  • An application form 
  • Certificate of valid travel medical insurance
  • Supporting documents proving the purpose of the your trip
  • Documents proving accommodation
  • Proof of solvability

Visa D (>3 months)

If you are a citizen/resident of one of the countries of the European Economic Area, Monaco, or Switzerland, you do not need a visa for a stay longer than three months. You can come to Belgium with a national passport or identity card.

If you have another nationality and you want to stay in Belgium for more than three months, you must apply for a long-stay visa (type D) via the Belgian embassy or a Belgian consulate in your home country.

Do not hesitate to contact a Belgian embassy or consulate for more information.

To apply for a Visa you need in most cases the following documents:

  • A travel document or national passport to which the visa may be affixed (period of validity longer than 12 months)
  • Visa application form (duplicate)
  • Two recent passport photos
  • Certificate of (prior) registration as a student
  • Invitation letter
  • Proof of solvability
  • A certificate of good conduct 
  • A medical certificate

Costs of a visa

When applying for a visa there may be costs to be paid:

  • the consular fees: the cost of submitting the visa application to the embassy or consulate.
  • The administrative fee for the processing of particular visa applications (D) and residence applications became due on 02.03.2015.

A student who is registered at an educational institution either organised, recognised or subsidised by the government has to pay 204 euro

Exception: a student who is registered at an educational establishment either organised, recognised or subsidised by the government and who receives a grant (e.g. ICP-student VLIR-UOS) from a Belgian institution. This student is exempt on the basis of a 'Visa Exemption Form'.

VLIR Procedures (DGD-Certificate)

Within the framework of the development, a “DGD” certificate can be used to obtain a visa. The UHasselt mobility officer enters the application for a “DGD” certificate. As soon as the complete form has been received by the department concerned, the visa certificate will be drawn up within a period of 3 working days. The visa certificate will then be sent directly to the embassy. Students are exempt from any costs associated with the application.

Invitation letter

In addition to a visa, students need a letter of invitation, as mentioned earlier. If you register as a regular UHasselt student on our website, this invitation letter will be generated automatically based on your registration/pre-registration. For non-formal students, “Dienst Internationalisering en Ontwikkelingssamenwerking” (Internationalization and Development Cooperation Department) provides this letter (marc.thoelen@uhasselt.be or niels.lambrichts@uhasselt.be).