Logo UHasselt


Outgoing students


Outgoing students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


As far as health insurance is concerned, you must inform your health insurance fund in good time before you leave for a foreign country. This way, you will be aware of the procedures that need to be completed in order to obtain reimbursement of health costs abroad and to obtain the European Health Insurance Card. The Health Insurance Card is recognizable by its blue colour.

The same conditions apply to the accident insurance which covers the students, if the student is attending courses at UHasselt or abroad.

In case of security problems, illness, accidents or loss of identity papers, you should contact the Belgian embassy/consulate on the spot as soon as possible. For more information, see the website of the FPS Foreign Affairs.

Also remember that the emergency number 112 is valid in all EU countries.

Health insurance via the National Health Service 

The health insurance policy situation differs depending on the country in which you reside and the purpose of your stay. There is an essential difference between a tourist stay and a study stay.

Very often there is a difference between the countries within Europe with whom an agreement is reached concerning the health insurance. Please inform yourself about this at your insurance agency.

In some countries, e.g. The United States Of America, the health insurance costs can reach very high peaks. Moreover, the travel insurance of the health insurance fund isn’t sufficient. Therefore a supplementary insurance isn’t a mere luxury in one of these countries in question. If you are staying abroad for study purposes (study or work placement), the health insurance funds make a difference between EEA countries (European Economic Area + Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland) and Switzerland as well as between non-EEA countries.

EEA country / Switzerland

It is advisable to take your European Health Insurance Card with you. The card entitles persons residing in another member state to medical care for the purpose of study and traineeships. The European health insurance card can be obtained from your health insurance fund.

You can also, subject to certain conditions, request assistance from the Eurocross emergency centre (travel assistance from the health insurance fund).

A non-EEA country

If you decide to visit a non-EEA country , you won’t receive a European Health Insurance Card. In this case you will be entirely responsible for self-travel assistance. Be sure to visit your health insurance fund before your departure and describe your unique situation. In this way you will get first-hand advice, because changes to the regulations mentioned above are absolutely possible.

Ask before your departure for information about the costs of hospitalization that are covered by the health insurance of the health insurance fund. If necessary, you may also take an additional insurance.