Logo UHasselt





Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


Step 1 Choose a promoter and a subject
Step 2 Arrange the financing of your project
Step 3

How to enrol?
Online pre-registration is compulsory. If you were registered as a UHasselt student before, please directly contact the Student Administration. Read carefully all instructions before starting the online application. Only online registrations will be processed. All necessary documents can be uploaded. The Selection Committee will only consider duly completed application files. The application file consists of following items:

1. A duly completed application form: http://www.uhasselt.be/applicationForm.
2. A photocopy of the obtained diplomas or degree certificates in the original language (name of the subscriber clearly stated)
3. A recent passport photograph.
4. Translation of university diploma(s) in English by an official translator.
5. Certified translated transcripts of records in the original language, for all programmes completed at university level (i.e. a list of all courses completed with an indication of course load and marks obtained for each course). The university of origin should provide the transcript of record and a statement in English in which is explained how the assessment marks assigned are to be converted into the standardized US-system or EU-standard ECTS-system. The translation of the transcript of records in English must be made by an official translator.
6. English-language skills need to be confirmed, by a recent score on the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) or any recognized proficiency test. The English Language Test can be waived on the basis of an interview or if English-language proficiency is otherwise proven (e.g. if education or part of it was in English).
7. Citizens of China need to include an APS-certificate.
APS-certificate: From the academic year 2007-2008 onwards all students from the P.R. China will have to obtain a certificate of academic screening issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre (APS) of the German Embassy in Beijing before being allowed to enrol at any higher education institution, language course or other preparatory course in Flanders. The APS certificate is also required for obtaining a student visa to Belgium. More information on APS can be found at their website www.aps.org.cn. From the academic year 2009-2010 on the cost of the APS-screening will be refunded to all Chinese students enrolled at Hasselt University.

What does it cost?
You can find here how much the tuition fee is. This needs to be paid in the first year of registration and in the year of defence, no fee for in-between years

Step 4 At Hasselt University, all PhD students belong to a doctoral school. The doctoral schools are responsible for the organisation of activities for PhD students. More information about the doctoral schools is available here.
Step 5

Submit your Doctoral File!
As a PhD student, you need to submit a doctoral file in consultation with your promoter within 3 months (6 months if you have a 3x2 year contract) after the start of your PhD. The submission and approval of the doctoral file will occur online. The online application is available here. You need to log in with your student ID and student paswoord.

Step 6

Organize a meeting with the members of your doctoral committee at the end of your first year to discuss your research and your progress. A written report (template) is drawn up by your doctoral committee and added by you in My Doctoral file under 'reports'.