Faculty of Law Maastricht University
Faculty of Law Hasselt University
Call for Proposals 2020
In 2020 the Maastricht University Faculty of Law and the Hasselt University Faculty of Law provide funding for two fulltime PhD positions. This call provides information on the application procedure.
WHAT CAN BE APPLIED FOR?
Two four year fulltime paid positions provided by The Special Research Fund UHasselt – Maastricht University in the framework of the joint PhD programme between Maastricht University and Hasselt University. One candidate will be appointed by Hasselt, one by Maastricht. Both will receive a double doctoral degree (2 separate degrees that refer to each other) between Hasselt University and Maastricht University. One PhD candidate will be appointed by Hasselt University. The terms of employment of Hasselt University will apply. One PhD candidate will be appointed by Maastricht University. The terms of employment of Maastricht University will apply.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Graduates with a relevant Master degree and excellent grades. Motivated and determined researchers possessing first-rate analytical and writing skills. Final-year (master) students are (likewise) encouraged to apply if they have proven research skills.
- Candidates who have already started their PhD research, but are not employed as resident PhD researchers.
When can applications be submitted?
The closing date for the submission is Thursday 1 October 2020, 23.59 hours.
Preparing an application
An application consists of:
- a fully elaborated proposal drafted in English or Dutch (according to the language in which the dissertation will be written), using the application form attached to this call;
- academic transcript of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and list of grades;
- if the dissertation will be written in English, proof of the English language level (being a native speaker, having completed a university degree in the English language or having passed a IELTS or TOEFL test; a IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 6.5 in writing or an internet-based TOEFL score of 90 with no less than 23 in writing is sufficient);
- the Master’s thesis or, if applicable, another substantial piece of English or Dutch writing;
- short bio envisaged promotor(s) demonstrating expertise in the field of the proposal.
WHO ARE POSSIBLE UHASSELT PROMOTERS? - take a look here.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
You have to submit the application at both universities (Maastricht University and Hasselt University).
Scientific quality of the candidate:
- Study results
- Motivation and relevant competences
Scientific quality of the proposal:
- scientific quality of the proposal
- quality of the research approach (methodology) and feasibility of the project
- quality of the research environment including excellence of lab (infrastructure, supervision, past experience, …)
Quality of collaboration:
- embedding of proposed project in research policy of the hosting research institute/group/school.
- explain how the project will enhance the collaboration between both universities
- indicate prospect of more sustainable collaboration
- equal involvement of both sides (UHasselt & UM)
The applications will be assessed by a selection committee appointed for that purpose by the Faculty Board of Maastricht University and the Research Council of Hasselt University. The preselection based will on the scoring grid. Candidates who make it through the pre-selection will be invited for an interview.
For further information, please contact Sara Schaeken, staff member Research Coordination Office UHasselt (tel +32-11-268576, email: firstname.lastname@example.org) or Patrick van Eijs, policy adviser for research Faculty of Law Maastricht University (tel. +31-43-3882027, email: email@example.com).
BOF internal guidelines (English)
BOF interne richtlijnen (Nederlands)
1 October 2020, 23.59
Closing date submission of applications
End of October 2020
Applicants are informed whether they are invited for an interview
End of December 2020
Final decision by the Faculty Board of UM and approval by the Research Council at UHasselt for the Joint UH-UM applications