PhD Position in Artistic Research
Faculty of Arts and social Sciences, Maastricht University
Faculty of Architecture and Arts, Hasselt University - PXL - MAD
Call for Proposals 2021
In 2021, the Maastricht University Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASoS) and the Hasselt University Faculty of Architecture and Arts (FARK) – PXL-MAD, School of Art provide funding for a PhD position in artistic research, including a dialogue between artistic practice and reflection. This call provides information on the vacancy and the application procedure.
WHAT CAN BE APPLIED FOR?
One four-year fulltime paid position provided by The Special Research Fund UHasselt – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Maastricht University in the framework of the joint PhD program between Maastricht University and Hasselt University.
The candidate will receive a double doctoral degree (2 separate degrees that refer to each other) between Hasselt University and Maastricht University.
The first two years, the candidate will be appointed by Maastricht University. The terms of employment of Maastricht University will apply. The final two years, the candidate will be appointed by Hasselt University. The terms of employment of Hasselt University will apply.
The PhD will be defended at Maastricht University.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Graduates with a relevant (Research) Master degree and excellent grades. Motivated and determined researchers in the arts with first-rate analytical and writing skills as well as a significant artistic portfolio.
CONDITIONS FOR SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
When applying for the research-position, the following conditions apply:
- A research proposal (in artistic research) that fits within the research domains of MAD-Research (Faculty of Architecture & Arts – UHasselt) and Arts, Media & Culture (AMC) (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences – Maastricht University) using the application form. See below for a description of these research domains and the application form.
- Within each of the two universities, a supervisor has to be appointed. Both of these supervisors explicitly commit to the project (by means of a signature). See below for procedure.
WHEN CAN APPLICATIONS BE SUBMITTED?
The closing date for the submission is Monday 15 February 2021, 23.59 hours.
PREPARING AND APPLICATION
In order to find supervisors at both universities from the relevant research groups, you contact the following persons:
They can guide you (based on a first draft proposal) towards the suitable supervisors at both universities. These supervisors can assist you with the further application.
An application consists of:
- a research-proposal drafted in English, using the application form attached to this call;
- a portfolio and CV of the candidate;
- an academic transcript of Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees and list of grades;
- proof of the English language level (being a native speaker, having completed a university degree in the English language or having passed a IELTS or TOEFL test; a IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 6.5 in writing or an internet-based TOEFL score of 90 with no less than 23 in writing is sufficient).
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
An application can only be submitted by e-mail to:
The application has to be submitted at both universities (Maastricht University and Hasselt University).
Applications are assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- originality and feasibility of the proposal;
- quality of the artistic research proposed;
- quality of the PhD candidate;
- match between the proposal and the research programs of FARK and FASoS, MAD-Research and AMC respectively (see research domains below);
- added value of the proposal for the cooperation between UHasselt and UM.
The applications will be assessed by a selection committee appointed for that purpose by the Faculty Board of FASoS, Maastricht University and the Research Council of Hasselt University.
At the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (UM), the PhD candidate will be integrated in the research program Arts, Media and Culture (AMC). https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/fasos-research-institute/research-organisation/arts-media-and-culture
At the Faculty of Architecture and Arts (UH), the PhD candidate will be integrated in the research program of PXL-MAD (MAD-research).
For further information, please contact Elke Bos, staff member Research Coordination Office UHasselt (tel +32-11-269053, email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
UHasselt intranet: BOF interne richtlijnen
Maastricht University and Hasselt University are committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. We strongly believe that diversity (including, but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, and (dis)ability) is to our and your advantage. Creating an inclusive working climate in which students and staff feel a valued member of the UM and UHasselt community is therefore a top strategic priority. UM and UHasselt values diversity within its community and encourages you to apply if you are qualified for this position.
|February 15 2021, 23.59||
Closing date submission of applications
End of March 2021
Applicants are informed whether they are invited for an interview
Final decision by the Faculty Board of UM FASoS and approval by the Research Council/Board of Deans at UHasselt for the Joint UH-UM applications