UHasselt – Maastricht UMC+ and The Maastricht University School of Business and Economics - 2019 Call for Proposals for Joint Degree Projects
- Special Research Fund UHasselt in collaboration with Maastricht Universitair Medisch Centrum+ (Maastricht UMC+) (cofunding for 3 joint PhD-projects)
- Special Research Fund UHasselt in collaboration with The Maastricht University School of Business and Economics (cofunding for 1 joint PhD-project)
For each project funding is provided for 2 years, including 2x € 5.000,- bench fee. The funding for the remaining 2 years must be provided by the participating research groups.
The main objective of the call is to strengthen collaboration between research partners of Hasselt University and Maastricht UMC+, and between research partners of Hasselt University and The Maastricht University School of Business and Economics (SBE).
Both UHasselt and Maastricht UMC+/SBE will provide funding for joint doctorate degree projects in the framework of the research collaboration between Maastricht UMC+/SBE and UHasselt.
Within this call 4 PhD-projects (max. duration of 4 years) can be selected: 3 within the collaboration between UHasselt and Maastricht UMC+ and 1 within the collaboration between UHasselt and SBE.
For each project (PhD)funding is provided for 2 years, including 2x € 5.000,- bench fee. The funding for the remaining 2 years (PhD funding and remaining bench fee) must be provided by the participating research groups/hosting laboratories/research institutes.
A PhD-candidate must be selected within 6 months of approval of the application. The candidate will be appointed in a fellowship position at UHasselt during the first two years of the project and he/she will be appointed at Maastricht University during the last two years of the project.
The project will be executed in close collaboration between both universities during the entire duration of the project. The PhD candidate will be expected to participate in the research groups at both universities during the four years of the PhD research.
The project will lead to a joint doctoral degree between Hasselt University and Maastricht University. There will be one single defense, recognized by both institutions.
- This programme is open for PhD projects in collaboration between Hasselt University and Maastricht UMC+ in the domains of (interdisciplinary) research in Health, Medicine and Life Sciences and for PhD projects in collaboration between Hasselt University and SBE. Interdisciplinary applications will also be considered.
- The project has to enhance the collaboration between UHasselt and Maastricht UMC+ or UHasselt and SBE.
- The project description in the application will present the doctoral research (problem statement, objectives & methodology) and, as far as possible, an indication of the work plan and time schedule including an indicative time schedule for the time spent at UHasselt and Maastricht UMC+/ SBE preferably in a 50/50 regime.
- The applications must be submitted by the collaborating supervisors of the future PhD candidate: a UHasselt supervisor who can act as ‘promoter’ cf. art. 10 of the UHasselt doctoral regulations and a supervisor from Maastricht UMC+/ SBE.
- Projects can be submitted without candidate, if however the feasibility of the project is inseparably linked to the candidate, this link should be motivated in the application form.
Scientific quality of the proposal:
- scientific quality of the proposal
- quality of the research environment including excellence of lab (infrastructure, supervision, past experience, …)
- embedding of proposed project in research policy of the hosting research institute/group/school.
- contribution to regional (Maastricht/Hasselt) development (societal impact), if applicable
- elements of valorization, if applicable
Quality of collaboration:
- explain how the project will enhance the collaboration between both universities
- indicate prospect of more sustainable collaboration
- involvement of other partners of the lab or external partnership should be clearly stated whenever requested to carry out research
- collaboration between supervisors (UHasselt & UM)
- equal involvement of both sides (UHasselt & UM)
- UHasselt BOF-programmes: https://www.uhasselt.be/UH/Financieringsprogrammas/BOF/Doctoraten-in-samenwerking-met-UM.html
- UHasselt doctoral regulations: https://www.uhasselt.be/Info-huidige-doctorandi
- On the website of Maastricht University you can find information on practical matters you need to arrange before and during your doctoral research: https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/support/phds (in English) or https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/nl/support/phds (in Dutch).
- Application form + annexes: http://www.uhasselt.be/UH/Financieringsprogrammas/BOF or https://researchoffice.mumc.maastrichtuniversity.nl/grants-database
- Send to:
- Deadline: 01.10.2019, 17h00.
- A joint selection committee (UHasselt and Maastricht UMC+) will discuss all applications based upon evaluation reports and prepare a selection that shall be submitted to the Bureau of the Research Council and the Board of the Maastricht UMC+. The final selection will be confirmed by the SLS Board and the Research Council and Board of Directors at Hasselt University.
- A joint selection committee (UHasselt and SBE) will discuss all applications based upon evaluation reports and prepare a selection that shall be submitted to the Bureau of the Research Council and the management team of the Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE). The final selection will be confirmed by GSBE and the Research Council and Board of Directors at Hasselt University.
- Applicants of the selected projects will be informed in December 2019. The projects must start within six months after approval.
Tel: +31 6 39265775
Tel: +32 11 26 90 41
The Maastricht University School of Business and Economics
Tel: +31 43 3882897