Europe needs to stay an attractive place to keep investing in research and innovation. 'Industrial Leadership is aimed at industry and innovation and offers many possibilities for applied research. With this pillar, Europe invests in important industrial technologies (Key Enabling Technologies (KET’s)) and thereby wants increase the participation of European companies in research and innovation.
Europe defined the 6 technologies below as Key Enabling Technologies:
- Advanced materials
- Advanced Manufacturing and processing
- Micro- and nanoelectronics
More about the pillar 'Industrial Leadership' can also be found on the website of the European Commission.
The European Commission wants to tackle societal challenges and offer solutions to those problems that Europe is confronted with today. The pillar 'Societal Challenges' pools resources and knowledge from different disciplines and various technologies and supports, in other words, multidisciplinary research and cooperation projects.
The societal challenges on which this pillar focusses are:
- Health, demographic change and wellbeing;
- Food security, sustainable agriculture, marine and maritime research, and the bio-economy;
- Secure, clean and efficient energy;
- Smart, green and integrated transport;
- Inclusive, innovative and reflective societies;
- Climate action, resource efficiency and raw materials;
- Secure societies.
More about the pillar 'Societal Challenges' can also be found on the website of the European Commission.