Who is eligible?
Your sporting level must be sufficiently high, to be eligible for extra support or
facilities as a top athlete.
Depending on your sports level, you can obtain an A-, B- or C- topsports statute.
The conditions are:
- you are an athlete, recognized by the Olympic Committee of your country or/and
- you are selected on a regular base for the national team in your discipline or/and
- you are a regular participant in international competitions in your discipline or/and
- you are a member of a team in the highest division or/and
- you are recognized by your own sports federation as a promising athlete or as one of the top tree in your sport or/and
- you are eligible or selected for participation at the Universiade or World University Championships
For students who compete in the highest division, the number of training hours as well as
being selected for the starting line-up is taken into account when the student athlete’s
statute is being considered.
What can we do for you?
Of course you can benefit from the existing range of coaching and other services at Hasselt University.
You can also benefit from:
- customised (individual) study coaching, e.g. regarding study methods, study planning, etc.)
- customised (individual) study career coaching, such as the definition of an adapted study pathway that takes account of both your studies and your top-level sporting activities (e.g. by spreading your studies over several years)
- teaching facilities (depending on your needs, e.g. choice of tutorial group, absence from contact moments, group work replaced by individual assignments, etc.)
- facilities in relation to evaluations (depending on your needs, e.g. alternative exam times – only for a A or B topsports statute – postponement of deadlines for assignments/papers, etc.)
Remember: facilities are favors that are only granted if the student needs it and if it is possible within the education of the chosen field of study.
How can you apply?
It is up to you to take the first step: make yourself known, collect the necessary documents/certificates and submit your dossier to the sports coordinator.
If you are applying for a statute as top athlete for the first time, note that your application must be submitted before September 1 st .
If you have already obtained the statute in the past at Hasselt University, you can re-apply at any moment during the academic year (also if the statute is to be applied in the started academic year). You can also re-apply during your entire study career at Hasselt University.
Your application for the extra support and facilities as top athlete has to be renewed annually. Your study career coach will send you a reminder to re-apply for the top athlete statute at the start of each academic year.
Please note: An application for examination facilities should be completed no later than 15 days before the start of the exam period concerned, so please contact the sports coordinator in good time.
The step-by-step plan to achieving top-level sportsperson status is described below:
STEP 1: REGISTRATION
In your electronic student file, you will find a registration form under the buttons 'studycoaching - forms'. Fill in this document, sign it and return it to the sports coordinator. You can do this directly via reception or via the student desk on the Diepenbeek Campus (Building D) or on the Hasselt Campus (Old Prison).
STEP 2: CERTIFICATION
Gather the necessary documents/certificates (see the ‘Certificates’ tab for more information).
The sports coordinator will check whether the documentation you have submitted meets the necessary criteria.
Tip: Make sure you get off to a flying start. We advise you to submit the necessary documents / certificates together with your application form (see step 1), or to take them to your meeting (see step 3).
STEP 3: MEETING
The study career coach will invite you for a meeting by email.
During this meeting, an evaluation is made of the difficulties or problems you are experiencing or expect to experience from combining sport and studies, and what measures and facilities could help you with these problems.
STEP 4: GRANTING FACILITIES
The application and the proposal for facilities are - if necessary - submitted to the Examination Board of the relevant programme. The Examination Board determines whether the requested facilities are possible within the programme (taking into account the learning outcomes, subject-related or practical feasibility and other factors) and decides on whether or not to grant these facilities.
The study coach informs you what facilities have been granted by email and adds these to your electronic student file.
Copies of the documents and certificates included in the application are retained by the study coach. The data is treated with the necessary respect for the privacy of the student.
Top-level sportsperson status must be re-applied for annually. The study coach will remind you of this by email at the beginning of each academic year.
STEP 5: PRACTICAL ORGANISATION
The study career coach follows up on the practical organisation of the facilities (e.g. absence from a compulsory contact moment). In order to practically organise certain facilities (e.g. relocating an exam) you need to contact the study career coach (in good time).
Any questions? Get in touch!
Do you have any questions about top-level sportsperson status, or are you unsure whether you qualify?
Please feel free to contact the sports coordinator.
Do you have any questions about how you can strike a balance between sport and study in your study pathway?
Please contact the study career coach.