The Social and Societal Ethics Committee (SMEC) at UHasselt consists of a multidisciplinary panel of experts who look into the possible social, societal and ethical issues at Hasselt University. In this session, Prof. Dr. Johan Ackaert of the Faculty of Law and chairman of the SMEC will outline ethics and integrity at UHasselt and the role of the SMEC.
- Brief outline of ethical dimensions of research (cases: Kinsey 1948, Camelot project 1964, Milgram 1963)
- Why is awareness of ethics and integrity growing?
- Growing legislation
- Fall out op populism
- Impact of organizational stability
- UHasselt as civic university
- Who are the UHasselt actors with regard to ethics & integrity?
- Ethics and integrity steering group
- Security committees
- Ethical committees
- Functioning of the Social Ethics Committee
- Nature of handled issues
- What brings the future?
At the end of this session, participants...
- will be aware of ethical dimensions related to their research,
- will have insights in UHasselt structures related with ethics and integrity,
- will be able to prepare a request for ethical advice.
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- personal effectiveness:
- ethics & research integrity
- intellectual competences:
- critical judgement
- academic research competences:
- research methods
- interpersonal competences:
- stakeholder awareness
- PhD students & postdocs
- October 14, 2021 - 14:00-15:00
- campus Hasselt, Oude Gevangenis, room FR1.01
- Registration closed since September 26, 2021
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will be notified by email in due time.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- category 'ethics and integrity' - session on ethics