As a beginning PhD student, it is not always easy to find your way through the abundance of scientific information. During this course (2 hours) we want to teach you some practical trics and useful tools to effectively search, manage and use scientific information. We also want to zoom in on things you should know before you start to publish.
Attention: this is an introductory course! If you are already experienced with the UHasselt library tools, with bibliographic software as Mendeley, with the open access policy at UHasselt, etc., it is probably better to choose a different training.
The following questions and topics will be dealt with:
- How to access scientific information off campus (through VPN, EZproxy or browser extensions)?
- How to find relevant research in your field?
- Which tools are available within Hasselt University to help you in your search for scientific information?
- Which options do you have when Hasselt University has no access to the wanted information?
- How to manage references with bibliographic software (e.g. Mendeley)?
- Things you should know before you start to publish (cf. Finding top journals for a research topic, open access policy @UHasselt, UHasselt institutional repository, predatory journals, research identifiers, etc.).
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- academic research competences
- information management
- publication skills
- The target group is starting PhD students.
- Max. 30 place available
- The session will take place on March 24, 2021 - 10:00–12:00.
- The session will take place online.
- Closed since March 8, 2021
- Please register only if you can attend all four sessions.
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will be notified by e-mail in due time.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS ST: category Scientific & Generic communication - an info session about Literature Searching skills