A picture or no picture on your resume? Only facts and figures or poetry? Include your publication list or exclude your publications all together? What are the do’s the don’ts and … what are the myths? What do recruiters say about resumes and why? And what do you want your resume to say? All of the above questions are just a few of the most commonly asked questions by academic researchers with an interest of going to the industry.
The 2-hour workshop, by Dr Robin Lefèbvre (Grow2Excel), will give you an insider’s guide to how a recruiter works and how you can pitch your personal brand via your resume. It will touch on the basic, and less basic insights on a resume. And … why your PhD CV is special.
In addition, you can also register for 30 min one-on-one CV coaching by Robin. Since places for the coaching are limited, a selection of candidates will be made with priority for people approaching the end of their contract.
At the end of this workshop you
- have learned how an industry recruiter thinks.
- have learned how to start building your personal brand.
- have learned the key difference between an academic and an industry CV.
- have learned what a recruiter wants from a CV, what you want … and why that is not the same thing.
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- interpersonal competences: stakeholder awareness & written communication
- intellectual competences: critical Judgment & creativity
- personal effectiveness: autonomy & Entrepreneurship
- The workshop and coaching are open to both PhD students and postdocs.
- There are 50 places available for the workshop and 10 for the individual coaching.
- Only people attending the workshop are eligible for individual coaching. Priority will be given to people approaching the end of their contract.
When and where?
- September 29, 2020 - 13:30-15:30
- campus Diepenbeek, building D, auditorium H1
Individual coaching (30 min)
- October 13, 2020
- time slots: 10u00-10u30 / 10u40-11u10 / 11u20-11u50 / 12u00-12u30 / 13u00-13u30 / 13u40-14u10 / 14u20-14u50 / 15u20-15u50 / 16u00-16u30 / 16u40-17u10
- campus Diepenbeek, building D, room A54
- Registration is possible here until September 7, 2020
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you can't make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS BSH: category 'career management & personal development' - workshop on career management
- DS ST: category 'career & personal development' - workshop on career management