This workshop, ran by Dr Ilse Van Damme, is aimed at duos of supervisors and PhD students. It is meant to trigger discussion about the topic of doctoral supervision and to put it on the agenda by stimulating participants to discuss preferences and expectations (both during the workshop and after). The focus is on increasing insight and awareness, as well as on providing strategies that may help in building a strong supervisor/supervisee relationship. A tool that may be used as a starting point for effective communication between supervisee and supervisor will be introduced. After the workshop, participants will be aware of different aspects of PhD supervision which can contribute to a successful PhD process.
The workshop contains interactive exercises and requires active participation through discussion and sharing of experiences. There are two editions per year.
After attending this workshop, you will ...
- be aware of various aspects of PhD supervision which may contribute to a successful PhD process,
- have an enlarged toolbox for going into interaction with your supervisor/supervisee, allowing for greater flexibility in dealing with various situations,
- understand the importance of personal values, expectations and earlier experiences and how they may influence the working relation between supervisor and supervisee,
- have laid the foundation for a strong working relationship,
- dispose of a tool to discuss and clarify mutual expectations.
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- responsiveness to change,
- Duos of supervisors and PhD students.
- There is room for 5 duos per edition. Priority will be given to recently started supervisors.
- 1st edition: February 6, 2020, 13:00-18:00
- 2nd edition: November 30, 2020, 13:00-18:00
- 1st edition: campus Diepenbeek, building D, room A4
- 2nd edition: meeting room 4, Cultureel Centrum Hasselt (Kunstlaan 5, 3500 Hasselt)
- Please contact your supervisor if you would like to register for this workshop. The supervisor registers and indicates the name of the PhD student who will be joining in.
- As places are limited (max 5 duos), registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. The supervisor will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- DS BSH: category 'career management & personal development' - workshop on career management
- DS HLS: category 'transferable skills' - half of a course on transferable skills
- DS ST: category 'career & personal development' - one workshop on personal development