What does it take to become successful in academia? Participants are guided along three lines.
- First, understanding: what skills do you need to succeed in academia? Crucial academic skills discussed in the workshop include research, writing, presentation, time management, perseverance, and collaboration.
- Second, reflection: how good are your current skills? What are your current strengths and weaknesses? And how important are these for your project?
- Final, improvement: how to get better skills? During the workshop, participants develop concrete ideas for skills improvement. Which improvements do you need when, and how can you realize the improvement?
During the workshop, participants develop concrete ideas for skills improvement. At the end, you prepare a Personal Academic Development Plan which identifies both the skills you intend to improve and the ways by which you will improve those skills.
Before the workshop, each participant fills out an extensive dedicated questionnaire to determine their current academic skills qualities. The detailed programme is availalbe here.
The trainer of the workshop is Eelko Huizingh (University of Groningen).
- all UHasselt PhD students and postdocs.
- Max. 14 participants.
- October 7 & 8, 2019, from 09:00-17:00
- UHasselt - campus Diepenbeek, building D, room A6 (October 7) and room A4 (October 8)
- Registration is closed.
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS BSH: category Research management
- DS MLS: category Transferable skills - one compulsory elective course
- DS ST: category Career & Personal development - one course about career development