All you need in your career is passion, a compass to guide that energy and a plan that builds on your strengths to achieve your goals.
80% of the workforce is unhappy with their job, or feel that they are sitting in the passenger seat of their career. They got to where they are now driven by random external events, a friend that chose a specific study, a vacancy that came available at the right time… or even a professor that offered a PhD scholarship. Most PhD students aspire to become a professor, or assume to continue with a postdoc or simply have no plan. Yet, only a minority can continue with a postdoc and odds of becoming a professor are slim at best. So what will you do in 10 years from now? What are your goals, passions, values and strengths? What are you doing today to reach it?
This course teaches you to produce superior results by improving your personal effectiveness and leadership at the personal, and interpersonal levels. It leverages the insights from Stephen Covey, Tom Rath, Simon Sinek, Tim Gallwey, and many other international recognized personal coaches and trainers. The focus is to start the participants on a journey of discovering their strengths, passions, values via various tools, get clear on their personal mission statement and leverage that as a compass to focus on their goals. Next it will provide a simple system to manage their focus to realize their objectives. During the course sub-groups will be leveraged for coaching each other on driving clarity and focus.
1. Identify moments of personal choice
2. Increase your personal effectiveness
3. Identify your passions, values and your personal strengths
4. Develop a personal mission statement
5. Set clear long and short term goals
6. Create habits and a plan, to overcome procrastination, driving your focus to your goals
7. Overcome your natural biases to make better decisions
Awareness – Participants will…
- Discover that they are responsible for their own career.
- Have a better understanding of their own strengths and know how to grow faster leveraging their strengths.
- Have a better understanding of their personal passions and values and can leverage them as a compass to set goals that lead to action.
Skills – participants will be able to…
- Set goals that matter, and make them specific, measurable, and trackable.
- Improve communication skills in regard to giving and receiving feedback.
- Improve listening skills.
The workshop is given by Robin Lefebvre (Grow to Excel).
- PhD students & postdocs
- There are 15 places available.
- December 9 & 10, 2019 - 9:00-18:00
- A sandwich lunch will be provided on both days.
- to be determined
The course consists out of 4 parts
1. Individual pre-work
As part of the training, each participant will receive a digital copy of the book Strengths finder 2.0, and will have to do the online strengths finder assessment.
Additionally there will be 1 – 2 hours of pre-work, based on personal interviews with colleagues and friends.
2. A 2 day training
2 days of 8hours with a trainer, where 100% of time dedication is required.
3. 8 weeks of sub-team discussions
The whole group will be divided in sub-groups of 4-5 participant during the training and will coach each other on getting more clarity on the training material. The same group will have the opportunity to continue learning up to 8 weeks after the training. There will be 8 weekly discussion guides for a 1hour meeting available, to enable going deeper into the different tools from the training. The discussion groups will further be supported via an online discussion forum and a group facilitator to moderate the online forum and keep the drumbeat. All activities are on a voluntary basis, with online material to facilitate the discussions. The trainer will be available for questions on the forum.
4. Individual progression with online tools for self-development
Aside of the discussion group, the forum and additional material will be available for those who want to continue at their own pace.
- Yoy can register here from Sept 23 until Nov 11, 2019. Please register only if you really intend to participate and if you are sure you can attend both training days.
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will be notified by e-mail in due time.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- BSH: category 'career management & personal development' - workshop aimed at personal development
- DS MLS: category 'transferable skills' - one compulsory elective course
- DS ST: category 'career & personal development' - one course about personal development