This workshop, by Jamie McDonald, is for those who want to collaborate, whether you want to work better within your team, across departments, universities or groups, or to communicate more effectively in tricky circumstances.
This learning can be used to help:
- collaborate, and enhance collaborations with others,
- set up and maintain constructive relationships,
- make the whole process less demanding or stressful,
- understand and work with different norms and cultures.
We look at understanding our own motivations, and those of others in collaborations, and explore how to establish the foundations, agreements and ‘rules’ of effective collaboration. Then the nature and practical means for establishing trust, connection and effective communication are raised, prior to working with different norms, cultures and conventions. This is complemented with activities and discussion to address genuine challenges that people face, and consideration of more effective communication throughout.
By the end of the workshop, you will have learned:
- why you, and others, may wish to collaborate and explored the basis and drivers for forming a practical collaboration,
- the importance of, and tools to, design a relationship among collaborators that reflects their different agendas, preferences and conventions,
- the impact of different culture on experiences of working, and suggestions for enhancing that process,
- concepts and experience of building trust and relationship in collaboration,
- ideas and methods for clearer and more constructive communication - even in trying circumstances.
The workshop uses experiential learning throughout. We use small group, paired and whole group discussion to review a number of activities that raise fundamental aspects of effective collaboration. There is no role play, and we ask participants to apply what they are learning to genuine situations, to make things practical, useful and personal, as well as enjoyable and informal. Models and personal experience are the foundation of the programme. Please come along ready to reflect, to contribute and to practice. Take some specific collaborations (existing or potential) in mind, that you want to apply the material to.
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- interpersonal competences:
- (interdisciplinary) collaboration
- stakeholder awareness
- oral communication
- intellectual competences:
- learning ability
- PhD students & postdocs - 18 places available
- December 2, 2021 - 9:00-16:00
- The workshop will be organized digitally. If selected to participate, you will receive the necessary details timely.
- Closed since November 2, 2021.
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will be notified by email after the registration deadline has passed.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS BSH: category 'career management & personal development' - workshop aimed at personal development
- DS HLS: category 'transferable skills' - one compulsory elective course
- DS ST: category 'career & personal development' - one workshop on personal development