All you need in your career is passion, a compass to guide that energy and a plan that builds on your strengths to achieve your goals.
80% of the workforce is unhappy with their job, or feel that they are sitting in the passenger seat of their career. They got to where they are now driven by random external events, a friend that chose a specific study, a vacancy that came available at the right time… or even a professor that offered a PhD scholarship. Most PhD students aspire to become a professor, or assume to continue with a postdoc or simply have no plan. Yet, only a minority can continue with a postdoc and odds of becoming a professor are slim at best. So what will you do in 10 years from now? What are your goals, passions, values and strengths? What are you doing today to reach it?
This course teaches you to produce superior results by improving your personal effectiveness and leadership at the personal, and interpersonal levels. It leverages the insights from Stephen Covey, Tom Rath, Simon Sinek, Tim Gallwey, and many other international recognized personal coaches and trainers. The focus is to start the participants on a journey of discovering their strengths, passions, values via various tools, get clear on their personal mission statement and leverage that as a compass to focus on their goals. Next it will provide a simple system to manage their focus to realize their objectives. During the course sub-groups will be leveraged for coaching each other on driving clarity and focus.
The workshop is run by Robin Lefebvre (Grow to Excel) and will be provided using a mixture of presentation, group discussion, break-out exercises and individual exercises. The whole concept of the training is to make it fit your learning goals and put theory into practice. Please be advised there will be about 45 mins of prework for this training.
After attending this training, participants will be able to ...
- identify moments of personal choice and increase their personal effectiveness,
- identify their passions, values and personal strengths,
- develop a personal mission statement,
- set clear personal long and short term goals,
- create personal habits attuned to their personal rhythm for maximal effectiveness,
- create habits and a plan, to overcome procrastination, driving their focus to their goals,
- design a schedule and email routine to put the learned time management models in practice.
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- personal effectiveness:
- task orientedness:
- organisation & coordination
- progress monitoring
- PhD students and postdocs
- 16 places available
When & where?
- April 21 & 22, 2021 - 9:00-17:30
- Participation on both days is required.
- The workshop will be organized digitally. You will receive the necessary details timely.
The course consists of 4 parts:
1. Individual pre-work
As part of the training, each participant will receive a digital copy of the book Strengths finder 2.0, and will have to do the online strengths finder assessment. Additionally there will be 1 to 2 hours of pre-work, based on personal interviews with colleagues and friends.
2. A two-day training
2 days of 8 hours with a trainer, where 100% of time dedication is required.
3. 8 weeks of sub-team discussions
The whole group will be divided in sub-groups of 4-5 participant during the training and will coach each other on getting more clarity on the training material. The same group will have the opportunity to continue learning up to 8 weeks after the training. There will be 8 weekly discussion guides for a 1hour meeting available, to enable going deeper into the different tools from the training. The discussion groups will further be supported via an online discussion forum and a group facilitator to moderate the online forum and keep the drumbeat. All activities are on a voluntary basis, with online material to facilitate the discussions. The trainer will be available for questions on the forum.
4. Individual progression with online tools for self-development
Aside of the discussion group, the forum and additional material will be available for those who want to continue at their own pace.
- Registration is closed since March 26, 2021.
- Please register only if you can attend both days.
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will receive a confirmation email.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS BSH: category 'career management & personal development' - workshop aimed at personal development
- DS HLS: category 'transferable skills' - one compulsory elective course
- DS ST: category 'career & personal development' - one course about personal development
|IN THE WORDS OF PARTICIPANTS:|
If you want to get a lot of tips and tricks to get your priorities straight, this is the perfect training. It will give you all the right tools to plan a project, get results in time and give you peace of mind, because you won't neglect your other roles (friend, parent, family member ...).
Really loved this training! You get in touch with a lot of tools/subjects that you can apply to improve your work and even improve the invested time in your personal life. The ambience of the training was really nice, the trainer explained the content really well and he is also well prepared by giving documents that are helpfull to follow the training and also to apply the learning outcomes after the training.
Plenty of information, some obvious and some less obvious, but always well put together so that you have a good sense of what is going on with yourself, and what lever you can pull to improve yourself.
I really enjoyed this training. It is intense but very helpful. The trainer was excellent and provided us with numerous tools to reach our own personal goals and to increase our self-leadership in an efficient and healthy way.