The real power of networking lies in connecting with people and building strong, professional relationships. In doing so, you will surround yourself with people who are happy to help you achieve your goals. These networking skills are important both inside and outside academia, but in this workshop we will focus on how to network in your current academic job context.
This hands-on workshop, by Dr Liese Exelmans (KU Leuven), focuses on how to network with people you see on a daily basis and people you meet at e.g. conferences. You will analyze your own network and reflect upon ways to expand and strengthen it. Additionally, you will work on perfecting your introduction as a researcher and how to make the most of conferencing.
Since building a network takes some time, we recommend this workshop to early-stage researchers who still have the time to build a (better) network.
Note: Though the same skills can be used for it, this workshop does not specifically cover networking for job opportunities.
After having attended this workshop, participants will ...
- be able to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of their current network,
- understand how networking works and have insight in non-verbal communication,
- know how they can connect better with people,
- have a script for a powerful introduction,
- know how to get more out of conferences and other networking events,
- have basic knowledge of online networking.
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- interpersonal competences:
- oral communication
- written communication
- personal effectiveness:
- Ideal for early-stage PhD students (more senior PhD students and postdocs are welcome as well, but please be aware of the introductory level of the workshop)
- 16 places available
- October 25, 2021 - 9:00-17:00
- A sandwich lunch will be provided.
- Campus Hasselt, Old prison, green room (OG-B1.1Gr)
- Closed since September 27, 2021.
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will be notified by email in due time.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS BSH: category 'career management & personal development' - workshop aimed at personal development
- DS HLS: category 'transferable skills' - one compulsory elective course
- DS ST: category 'career & personal development' - course about personal development