When you are enrolled for a doctoral school activity, you are expected to be present. Many of the activities are in high demand, so we kindly ask you to inform us as soon as possible if you have to cancel your enrolment (by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org). You are also expected to inform your supervisor of your enrolment.
Late cancellations or no-shows have at least four negative consequences:
- Other interested young researchers have no chance to participate.
- The cost per participant increases substantially.
- Food and materials are wasted.
- In case of too small groups, the quality of courses/workshops cannot be guaranteed (or they can even be cancelled).
The following rules apply:
- Cancellations made up to 1 week before the activity are allowed.
- No-shows and cancellations made later than 1 week (< 7 days) before the activity are NOT allowed, except in case of one of the following valid reasons:
- illness (to be documented by means of a doctor’s certificate*)
- unexpected personal emergency (also to be documented*)
In case of other circumstances beyond your control, a delegation of the doctoral school council will evaluate your case and decide whether or not it is indeed a valid reason for late cancellation or no-show. You need to be able to show that you only became aware of these circumstances later than 1 week before the start of the activity.
- For some activities, individual costs are made before the actual start (e.g. access to online tool, questionnaire, …). In case of cancellation after these costs have been made, personal reimbursement will need to occur (except when participating in a later edition). This is true regardless of the exact timing of the cancellation (i.e. ≥ or < 7 days).
- After a first late cancellation or no-show, you will receive a warning. An e-mail will be sent to both you and your promoter explaining that a next late cancellation or no-show will lead to a fee.
- After a second late cancellation or no-show, you will be charged with a fee of 250 euros.
- For courses including several sessions (spread out over several weeks), the above rules apply to each separate session. Thus, you can still cancel your participation in a specific session after the course has already started. However, if lacking a valid reason (as specified above), you will not receive a doctoral school certificate for your participation in the course.
- The same rules apply to courses/workshops attended at other Flemish universities.
- When registering for a doctoral school activity, you will need to endorse the cancellation and no-show policy as described above.
*The documents may be sent by e-mail or by regular mail and should reach us within 10 working days after the activity. If not, the fee will still be charged. Regular mail should be addressed to: