VACANCY vs OPEN PHD PROPOSAL
- If you wish to do a PhD in Transportation Sciences, please check our Transportation Research Institute's vacancy page first: https://www.uhasselt.be/UH/IMOB-EN/IMOB_EN-About-IMOB/IMOB_EN-About-IMOB-Vacancies.html.
If you find a suitable PhD vacancy and if you meet the conditions of admission, then follow the application procedure described in the vacancy.
- In case there are no vacancies, you can send an open PhD proposal with a topic that is linked to the research carried out at the Transportation Research Institute of Hasselt University (IMOB).
However, note that no funding can be provided by the Transportation Research Institute/Hasselt University in case of open PhD proposals and extra costs for supervision and enrolment in the PhD programme apply.
CONDITIONS OF ADMISSION OPEN PHD PROPOSAL
All applicants should hold at least a university degree or a diploma of higher education equivalent to an academic master's degree in a relevant discipline. Applicants need to have an average grade of minimum 70% in their master's degree before they can be considered for a self-funded PhD position.
Sufficient knowledge of English is required and is to be certified by one of the below mentioned tests. Native speakers or holders of a degree, obtained in the English language are exempt from these tests:
- a TOEFL-score report (paper based: score 550 or more, computer based: score 213 or more, internet base: score 79-80);
- IELTS-certificate (min. overall band score 6.0);
- For citizens of China: APS certificate.
HOW TO APPLY FOR AN OPEN PHD PROPOSAL
- If you already have an idea about your research topic, we advise you to get in touch with a professor at Hasselt University who would be suitable to supervise you on this topic. Information on the UHasselt research groups within the School of Transportation Sciences is available on this webpage. Click on the research group of your interest and you will find a list of UHasselt employees who are active in this field. If you click on their name, you will see their contact details. Alternatively, you can look up their details here.
- After you find a UHasselt professor who is willing to supervise you, navigate to this webpage to find out about funding possibilities. If you still have questions about funding after reading this webpage, the research coordination office (firstname.lastname@example.org) is available to assist you.
- Do you already have a research topic, a supervisor, and research funding? Here you will find the necessary steps you should take to enrol as a PhD student, as well as all necessary steps you should take once you are enrolled. In order to be able to be admitted as a PhD student, you need a master degree. More information is available on this webpage.
Please note that the information provided on this website is intended for informational purposes only and may be subject to changes.