Logo UHasselt


International students


International students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


International students with a work permit can work in Belgium, as long as it doesn’t interfere with their studies. However, your studies should be your main priority. If your study progress is insufficient, your residence permit will not be extended.

If you are able to combine work and study, you can meet your academic advisor to indicate the difficulties you are experiencing and we will see how we can help you.




What can we do for you?

You can of course use the existing range of (coaching) facilities at Hasselt University.
You can also benefit from:

  • customised (individual) study coaching, e.g. regarding study planning
  • customised (individual) study career coaching, such as the definition of an adapted study pathway that takes account of both your studies and your work (if allowed)
  • teaching and evaluation facilities (depending on your needs, e.g. choice of tutorial group, group work replaced by individual assignments, etc.)

Who is eligible?

There are several statuses for students who want/ are allowed to combine working and studying:

  • Working student status
  • You are eligible for working student status if you are employed for at least 72 hours per month or half of a full-time job.
  • You can also obtain working student status if you are currently actively searching for a job (a job-seeker with benefit entitlements).

Note: Working student status is not intended for all students: students with a part-time job (e.g. limited weekend work), students on a postgraduate programme, doctoral students or pensioners, .....

!Every non-EEA student must have a student residence permit.

What do you want to do ?
New mail

How do you apply?

It is up to you to take the first step: make yourself known, collect the necessary documents/certificates and submit your dossier in your electronic student file.
You can do this at any time during the academic year (including for the current academic year), and throughout your academic career.

Please note: An application for exam facilities should be completed no later than 15 days before the start of the exam period concerned, so please contact the study career coach in good time.

The step-by-step plan to achieving working student status is described below:

As soon as you are enrolled at UHasselt, you can start your application to be recognized at UHasselt as a 'student in special circumstances'. Via your student file - Special circumstances you submit your application together with the necessary certificates (see tab 'Certificates' for more information). 

During a meeting with the academic advisor, an evaluation is made of the difficulties or problems you are experiencing or expect to experience from combining employment and studies, and what measures and facilities could help you with these problems.

The application and the proposal for facilities are - if necessary - submitted to the Examination Board of the relevant programme. The Examination Board determines whether the requested facilities are possible within the programme (taking into account the learning outcomes, subject-related or practical feasibility and other factors) and decides on whether or not to grant these facilities.
The study coach informs you what facilities have been granted by email and adds these to your electronic student file.
Copies of the documents and certificates included in the application are retained by the study coach. The data is treated with the necessary respect for the privacy of the student.
Working student status must be re-applied for annually. 

The study career coach follows up on the practical organisation of the facilities (e.g. absence from a compulsory contact moment). In order to practically organise certain facilities (e.g. relocating an exam) you need to contact the academic advisor (in good time).

What do you want to do ?
New mail
What do you want to do ?
New mail

Documents / certificates

To qualify for working student status, you must gather the following documents/certificates and submit them to your study coach.

Working students
You must be able to present a certificate that:
- is recent (maximum 2 months old),
- corresponds to your current situation,
- demonstrates that you are employed for at least 72 hours per month or half-time (e.g. an employer’s declaration or payslip)

Students on unemployment benefits
You must be able to present a certificate that:
- is recent (maximum 2 months old),
- corresponds to your current situation 


Any questions? Get in touch!

Do you have any questions about working student status, or are you unsure whether you qualify?
Please feel free to contact the study coach.

Do you have any questions about how you can strike a balance between work and study in your study pathway?
Please contact the academic advisor.