Today, most companies use professional social media to find new employees. Monitoring personal digital identity is critical for a successful career. The following topics will be discussed during this workshop.
1. Understand the notion of digital identity
- Define digital identity with some examples
- Put forward your personal brand depending on your career plan to be visible and readable
- Track your digital footprint
2. Discover new recruitment methods
- Know nonspecialized social media and the ones associated with research and science
- Know how to use it for your job search and your professional career, the differences and
similarities between academic and private sectors in terms of habits
- Understand 2.0 recruiting practices; identify emerging trends and seize opportunities to get noticed
- Understand the benefits / risks of using different means of communication on your profile (writing, video, sound, etc.)
3. Improver your digital visibility and readability: practical exercise
- Become aware of your current visibility on the internet to improve it
- Create alerts to monitor your personal brand on the internet
- From a blog to Twitter, from LinkedIn to Twitter, from Doyoubuzz to Facebook, from Research Gate to Academia: do not get lost and identify media to privilege
- Identify information to broadcast in order to arouse recruiters’ interest
- Create or update profiles on the chosen media and socio-professional networks (practical
exercise to implement the advice of the other participants and the trainer)
4: Expand your professional network, identify and seize opportunities through social networks
- Learn about professional practice through digital tools
- Be a player in your professional development, know the trends of the job market, professions and organizations, identify more job offers through digital tools
- Build your professional network by relying on social media: how to make contact? How to identify groups of interest and who to contact between head of network and player of similar level to yours? How to turn each contact into three new contacts?
Upon completion of this workshop, you...
- understand how to strengthen your digital identity and improve your visibility on the
- understand how to use the potential of social networks to boost your career,
- understand how recruiters conduct searches after targeting online profiles and how to be
spotted by recruiters,
- have learned tricks to expand your network efficiently.
An important part of preparing for any further professional step is becoming (more) aware of the competences you have developed and/or want to develop. In the current workshop, the following competences from the UHasselt competency overview are actively dealt with:
- Written communication
- Result orientedness
- PhD students & postdocs.
- There are 12 places available.
When and where?
- June 16, 2020, 9:30-17:00 - online
- Registration closed since May 28, 2020.
- As places are limited, registering does not automatically imply that you will be able to participate. You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you can't make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS BSH: category 'career management & personal development' - workshop on career management
- DS HLS: category 'transferable skills' - one compulsory elective course
- DS ST:category 'career & personal development' - workshop on career management