During this digital session, three testimonials on science communication will be given: one by a UHasselt postdoc, one by a UHasselt PhD alumnus and one by a seasoned science communicator / comedian:
- Lieve Doucé holds a PhD in Applied Economics and currently works as a postdoctoral researcher at the Marketing Research Group of Hasselt University. Her research focuses on sensory marketing and this in relation to both the in-store and the online customer experience.
- Martijn Peters is a scientist who is currently the Science & Weather Coordinator at the media company DPG Media. His PhD revolved around the design of fluorescent nanoparticles to study brain diseases like Multiple Sclerosis and was executed within the departments of chemistry, life sciences, and material sciences of UHasselt. During this period he discovered a new passion, science communication, which he turned into his profession. After his PhD he was the Science Communication Officer of Hasselt University for over a year before switching to his new position.
- Jeroen Baert graduated as a master of engineering / computer scientist with an interest in computer graphics. With his stage experience as a performer, he tries to spice up science communication wherever he can. He's an active member of the popular "Nerdland" podcast & science community.
They will discuss their personal experiences with science communication (during their PhD and after): what did / did not work, which obstacles did they encounter and how did they deal with those, ... Based on their own experiences, they will formulate tips and tricks.
In a next step, participants will be divided into three groups. Each group will talk to each speaker for 15 minutes. This is the time to ask questions or to discuss difficult aspects. By the end of the session, each group will have exchanged ideas with each speaker.
14:35 Testimony Lieve Doucé
14:55 Testimony Martijn Peters
15:25 Testimony Jeroen Baert
15:50 Group discussion 1
16:15 Group discussion 2
16:35 Group discussion 3
- PhD students & postdocs
- May 7, 2021 - 14:30-17:00
- The session will be organized digitally. If selected to participate, you will receive the necessary details timely.
- Closed since April 19, 2021.
- Please cancel your registration at least one week in advance in case you cannot make it (cf. cancellation & no-show policy).
- DS BSH: category 'IP, valorisation & science communication' - session on science communication
- DS HLS: category 'Transferable skills' - half of a transferable skills course
- DS ST: category 'Scientific & generic communication' - course about scientific and generic communication