This work package is interested in how the pandemic is influencing people’s day-to-day lives. We are monitoring awareness of and attitudes to COVID-19 over time, assessing the effectiveness of the information provided by public health and other authorities and gathering information on how the pandemic is changing people’s behaviour. For example in relation to their contact with others. These insights will be vital in informing regional, national and international responses to the pandemic.
Key activities include:
- Rolling out CoMix; a large-scale social contact survey which gathers information on attitudes, awareness and behaviour over the course of the pandemic.
- Launching Infectieradar; a participatory surveillance platform which monitors the spread of COVID-19 through collecting health information from volunteers in real-time.
- Tracking and analysing public conversations about COVID-19 in traditional and social media outlets (online news, television, Twitter) by employing platforms like Ncov2019 Tracking. We will pay particular attention to public health messages from national and international bodies, to understand their reach and effectiveness, as well as investigating incidents of false or misleading news.
- Making rapid summaries of the data and findings widely available to keep health authorities, researchers and the wider public informed.
- Led by LSHTM: Quantifying the impact of physical distance measures on the transmission of COVID-19 in the UK
- Led by ISI: COVID-19 outbreak response, a dataset to assess mobility changes in Italy following national lockdown
- Led by ISI: Effect of manual and digital contact tracing on COVID-19 outbreaks: a study on empirical contact data
- Led by ISI: Collective Response to Media Coverage of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Reddit and Wikipedia: Mixed-Methods Analysis
- Led by UHasselt: CoMix: comparing mixing patterns in the Belgian population during and after lockdown
- Led by LSHTM: The impact of local and national restrictions in response to COVID-19 on social contacts in England: a longitudinal natural experiment
- Led by ISI: Evaluation of home detection algorithms on mobile phone data using individual-level ground truth
- Led by LSHTM: CoMix: Changes in social contacts as measured by the contact survey during the COVID-19 pandemic in England between March 2020 and March 2021 (pre-print)
- Led by ISI: Early social distancing policies in Europe, changes in mobility & COVID-19 case trajectories: Insights from Spring 2020
- Led by LSHTM: Projecting contact matrices in 177 geographical regions: An update and comparison with empirical data for the COVID-19 era (proof)
- Led by ISI: Socio-economic determinants of mobility responses during the first wave of COVID-19 in Italy: from provinces to neighbourhoods
- Led by LSHTM: Poor self-reported adherence to COVID-19-related quarantine/isolation requests, Norway, April to July 2020
The society and behaviour workstream is led by LSHTM, with support from ISI, UHasselt, Bern and RIVM.