About the function
You give courses in the Master of Statistics and Data Science. You will also teach statistics and/or machine learning courses in other programmes (bachelor/masters) at Hasselt University. You will stimulate cooperation between statistics, mathematics and computer sciences.
The professor’s duties will primarily include research
in Machine Learning, where you actively contribute with publications, scientific communication, project coordination, PhD supervision and grant writing, and research-based teaching
in the Master of Statistics and Data Science. You will foster collaboration between statistics, mathematics and computer science. You will actively explore opportunities for valorisation and exploitation
of research results through different ways of knowledge and technology transfer such as consultancy projects for (industrial) partners, software licenses and spin-offs. Outstanding applicants in all areas of Machine Learning within the Statistical Learning Theory will be considered.
The Data Science Institute (DSI) brings together researchers working in the broad field of data science across different research groups from different faculties at Hasselt University, including researchers from statistics, computer science, mathematics, life sciences, and operations management. DSI's main objective is to facilitate the data-driven future. It supports and enhances collaboration between different data science research groups at the university, and acts as a single point of contact for external collaborations and consultancy.
The Center for Statistics (CenStat), part of DSI, is hiring an outstanding, enthusiastic colleague to strengthen and complement the research line in statistical machine learning. CenStat builds upon more than 30 years of research in biostatistics, statistical bioinformatics and quantitative epidemiology. CenStat, together with DSI, organizes a master in Statistics and Data Science, a master with an international and multidisciplinary orientation with 4 specializations: biostatistics, statistical bioinformatics, quantitative epidemiology and data science.
- You have obtained a PhD in statistics, data science, computer science. (or equivalent)
- You have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research in Statistics and Machine Learning, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make future impact.
- You are capable of and interested in facilitating cross-disciplinary interactions both within the Data Science Institute and beyond.
- You are involved in national/international partnerships.
- A demonstrable experience in scientific consulting and contract research for industry and other forms of technology transfer is an added advantage.
- A demonstrable experience in preparation and acquisition of scientific grants at national/international level is an added advantage.
- You have experience with respect to various aspects of academic education: coordination and organization of courses, development of teaching materials and supervision of practical projects and dissertations.
- Experience with interdisciplinary teaching in statistics and/or machine learning, including courses for students with a non-technical background is an added advantage.
- You are cooperative and can work well in teams.
- Dutch is the official administrative language of Hasselt University. If you do not have a sufficient knowledge of Dutch (CEFR level B2) upon your appointment, we expect you to obtain the required level no later than 5 years after being appointed or at the moment of tenure (usually after an internship of 3 years for senior academic staff). We provide tailor-made language training. If you are a coordinating lecturer you must have a command of the language of instruction of the program component at CEFR level C1. We provide tailor-made language training.
We will offer
- either an appointment as a lecturer in the tenure track system during 5 years. This will lead to an immediate permanent contract as a senior lecturer, if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved, based on previously set public grading criteria.
- Otherwise, we will offer a fulltime appointment as a lecturer or higher, which will lead to tenure. In case of a first appointment as a member of the academic staff, the Board of Directors of the University can decide on a temporary appointment for a period up to 3 years. This will lead to a permanent contract if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved.
Apply for this position
The selection procedure consists of a preselection based on application file, an introductory interview, a in-depth interview (with assignment) and an assessment center. If required, a selection exam can be held after preselection.