About the function
You are part of the Economics department and your teaching responsibility can include courses in the field of economics, policy management, cost-benefit analysis and health economics within the Bachelor's and Master's programs of the faculty of Business Economics. You will also be coordinating courses together with teaching assistants and you are able to develop new (applied) economics courses.
You will help strengthen the existing research portfolio in which the research group has established itself nationally and internationally and/or you add new research topics in public economics. You will lead both academic and applied economic, as well as interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with scientific partners inside and outside Hasselt University. Important objectives are the realization of publications in internationally recognized academic publications, the extension of the existing research network and the supervision of doctoral students. You will also actively search for funding opportunities for both academic and applied research.
The Economics department at Hasselt University consists of two research groups (Economics & Public Economics and Environmental Economics) that have international recognition in their fields and conduct high quality fundamental and applied research. The research group Economics & Public Economics focuses predominantly on the empirical evaluation and analysis of public policy. The research group is active in the domain of law and economics and specializes in empirical research methods for the integrated valuation of public policy. Over the years the research group has established extensive national and international collaborations for academic research. The research group has four main research lines:
(1) better regulation: impact assessment method, administrative simplification, goal-based regulation
(2) empirical analysis of litigation and crime: e.g. judge behavior, recidivism and efficiency of courts, crime and organizations.
(3) health economics: e.g. economic valuation of home care, evaluation of digitalization in healthcare, medical liability, workers’ mental health and organizations.
(4) applied micro-econometrics: innovation, labor and trade, migrants and entrepreneurship.
You can find a connection with one or more of these research lines in public economics and/or start a new research line that falls within the scope of public economics. In each of these four research lines the group is recognized both nationally and internationally. The research group publishes in the top field journals in these fields and is successful in acquiring both fundamental (H2020, Interreg, FWO, …) and applied research projects for the European Commission and national governments.
More information on the research group can be found at: https://www.uhasselt.be/en/onderzoeksgroepen-en/pec
- You have a doctoral degree in applied economics, economics or in another field with a clear specialization in economics (or equivalent)
- Your teaching assignment also contains the coordination of courses. Therefore, you need to master Dutch and English at the ERK-level C1 at the moment of application for this vacancy.
- You have the necessary skills to function within a multidisciplinary research group.
- You have a strong research profile that fits the current scope of the research group as outlined under background and that shows that you have the potential to publish scientific research in internationally recognized academic journals
- You have experience in leading and managing research projects
- You have experience with (successful) acquiring external funding
- You have the necessary teaching, communication and organizational skills to provide excellent teaching in the Bachelor and Master programs of the faculty of Business Economics
- You are a motivated teacher and are interested in developing new courses
- You have an interest in empirical research and empirical methods
- You have international mobility shown by research stays in research institutions
- You have experience with the supervision of PhD students
- We will offer an appointment as a lecturer in the tenure track system during 5 years. This will lead to an immediate permanent contract as a senior lecturer, if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved, based on previously set public grading criteria.
Apply for this position
Preselection based on CV. Selection interview(s) and assessment with the (pre)selected candidates.
You will carry out a mock lesson on a given topic