You will be in charge of teaching duties in the Bachelor and Master of Industrial Sciences (joint educational program of Hasselt University and KU Leuven).
In addition, as part of continuous curriculum evolution, you will develop new course units that familiarize students with contemporary evolutions.
- You will initiate and carry out innovative research in the field of structural assessment and monitoring of structural components and structures, with a special emphasis on circular and sustainable applications and a clear view on possible multi-material solutions.
- This research includes the application of advanced techniques to monitor existing structures as well as the use of accelerated testing procedures to assess the durability of novel structural solutions.
- You will also be responsible for attracting research projects and supervising PhD researchers in the broad field of structural engineering/sustainability/durability.
- You will develop a regional and international network with public and private stakeholders active in the aforementioned research field.
- You will also actively contribute to the development of the experimental research and services activities, by among other things supporting the development and expansion of the civil engineering experimental testing facility of UHasselt (Application Centre Concrete and Construction) towards structural durability and advanced measurement techniques.
The Construction Engineering Research Group of Hasselt University (Faculty of Engineering Technology) has developed in the last decade a strong background in applied research in structural engineering, covering various aspects of concrete, steel, masonry and timber constructions, most often in the form of innovative multi-material solutions. In order to strengthen its activities in the direction of circular construction, the research group is seeking a new colleague with background in the assessment and monitoring of structures, with a particular focus on analyzing the durability (i.e. long-term performance) of novel circular construction solutions. Given the broad field of activity of the group, experience could be related or applicable to any of the above-mentioned materials. In particular, experience with sustainable and circular approaches and applications would be very valuable.
- You have a PhD in Civil Engineering (or equivalent)
- Dutch is the official administrative language of Hasselt University. If you do not have a sufficient knowledge of Dutch (CEFR level B2) upon your appointment, we expect you to obtain the required level no later than 5 years after being appointed or at the moment of tenure (usually after an internship of 3 years for senior academic staff). We provide tailor-made language training. Coordinating lecturers must have a command of the language of instruction of the program component at CEFR level C1. We provide tailor-made language training.
- You have experience in various aspects of academic teaching: coordination and organisation of courses, development of course materials and supervision of projects and theses.
- You are able to demonstrate outstanding research potential in the field of structural engineering and have published in international scientific publications.
- You are able to export scientific methods and results to practical applications. Experience in collaboration with industry and external project acquisition is an advantage.
- You enjoy taking initiative to realise teaching and research ambitions. You proactively analyse issues and engage creatively.
- As part of multidisciplinary collaboration, you will seek out internal and external partners with the aim of positively impacting your research output.
- You are passionate about continuously updating and acquiring new knowledge and strive to continuously broaden your experience. You consider ideas and views of others for the benefit of the group result.
- You are able to lead a (research) group, set the direction, and communicate a vision.
- You communicate clearly and effectively, which translates into inspiring lessons that motivate and engage students. Your command of the English language is fluent, both orally and in writing.
Our offer for you
We will offer either an appointment as a lecturer in the tenure track system during 5 years. This will lead to an immediate permanent contract as a senior lecturer, if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved, based on previously set public grading criteria. Otherwise, we will offer a fulltime appointment as a lecturer or higher, which will lead to tenure. In case of a first appointment as a member of the academic staff, the Board of Directors of the University can decide on a temporary appointment for a period up to 3 years. This will lead to a permanent contract if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved.
Apply for this position
The selection procedure consists of a preselection based on application file, an interview and a test lesson / presentation.
An assessment for the selected candidates is also part of the selection procedure.