Agentschap Innoveren en Ondernemen
Flanders Innovation and Entrepreneurship (VLAIO) launched the new call for applications for their Innovation Mandates (Postdoctoral Research Fellowships). Deadline for submission of applications is 6/9/2022 at 12:00
Innovation Mandates (IM) are postdoctoral mandates for senior scientists who want to focus on the valorization of scientific research results in the industry. Valorization can be established by cooperating with an existing company or by creating a new (yet to be established) spin-off company. Hence, there are different types of mandates:
- Innovation Mandates focused on the preparation of a spin-off enterprise. VLAIO funds these mandates for 100% for a maximum of two years. The mandate stops when the spin-off is established.
- Innovation mandates focused on cooperation with existing companies. These IM can consist of two phases:
- Exceptionally, a first phase of a maximum of 12 months in which further research can be conducted to judge the valorization in a firm context. VLAIO awards a 100% grant to the university in the first phase. In case of success the mandate holder can proceed with phase 2 of the project, the transfer of results.
- A second phase, of a maximum of 24 months. The company which operates as an industrial partner, will take care of the strategic orientation of the research and co-finance the research. VLAIO funds 50% up to 80% of the mandate, depending on the size of the company
The call is open to anyone who holds a doctorate (PhD) diploma. VLAIO does not impose any additional restrictions. The scheme is therefore open to all nationalities and all academic disciplines. All companies with activities in Flanders may take the role of applicant in Phase 2. For spin-off mandates, provisions must be made to set up the company in Flanders.
Applications need to be submitted online. To start an application you need to register with your e-ID via the VLAIO website
. After registration you will receive a link to your application via email. Access to the application can be shared by forwarding this link to other parties involved. Each of the partners needs to complete a form in the application. The completion of this form can be done by anyone but the submission of the completed form needs to be done by a legal or authorized representative.
More information on these mandates can be found on the VLAIO website
Additional support for applicants:
Potential candidates can request for an online exploratory meeting with advisors from VLAIO on 7 July and 23 August via the VLAIO call page. This meeting takes approximately 1 hour. You will receive a confirmation with all details no later than one week before the scheduled date.
Research Coordination Office
Please contact the Research Coordination Office as soon as possible if you intend to submit an application.
The Research Coordination office:
- Helps with process-related questions (e.g. questions about the application template, submission procedure etc.).
- Acts as an intermediary between the researchers and VLAIO
- Acts as an intermediary when internal (TTO, PER, FIN) or external (ICL, etc.) consultation is necessary
- Helps with preparing the project budget
- Checks the final project budget
- Helps with administrative formalities relating to Hasselt University
- has the mandate to submit the application for Hasselt University