Funding types Mobility


Mobility exists in many different types. Below, you can find the most well known programmes for outgoing mobility, incoming mobility, intersectional mobility and mobility for specific countries.

More information?
Contactperson Hasselt University: Ilse Das

Outgoing mobility

The purpose of outgoing mobility can be a research stay or the attendance of a convention, workshop or course abroad.
BOF, as well as FWO and the European Horizon programme provide funding for the mobility of researchers. In addition, thanks to the support of the Flemish government, there is also funding available within the doctoral schools for mobility of PhD candidates and postdocs.

Incoming mobility

Within Hasselt University, as well as at the Flemish and European level, there are funds available for incoming mobility. These can be used to bring useful foreign expertise to Flanders.

Intersectoral mobility

Intersectoral mobility between universities and industry gives researchers a better understanding of industrial aspects of research, and stimulates the interaction between university research and business. This mobility can take place both in Flanders (VLAIO) or in Europe (Horizon Europe).

Other funding research mobility

Certain Belgian and international funds support mobility to specific countries.
Well-known scholarships and programmes include:

  • Von Humboldt Foundation: For study stays at a German university, college or research institution, from postdoctoral level upwards
  • BAEF scholarships: For study stays in the United States, for doctoral students and postdocs
  • Fulbright scholarships: For academic studies in the United States, for students, doctoral students and postdocs

Are you interested in studying abroad for a while? Then contact the Directorate Research, Library and Internationalisation (Leen Lambrechts) to consider your specific funding options. The office will be happy to help you look for mobility funding for your specific destination of choice or for your research field.

Other mobility programmes

There are certain (inter)national funds that support mobility to specific countries. Well known grants and programmes are:



Von Humboldt-foundation



United States


United States

BOF PhD Mobility UC Berkeley

UC Berkeley, United States

You can find all current calls regarding mobility on the Hasselt University call page.

Are you interested in a research stay abroad? Please contact the Directorate Research, Library and Internationalisation (Ilse Das) to discuss your concrete options for funding. The directorate would like to help you in your search for financing for mobility for a specific destination or for your research domain.