During your stay

Renewal of residence permit

Every non-EEA student must have a student residence permit. Your right of residence as a non-EEA student is always limited to the duration of your studies.

On 27 May 2018, some adjustments were made to the conditions for granting non-EEA students residence permits.

The changes relate to:

  • the deadline for applying for the renewal of the temporary residence document (A card);
  • the procedure that applies when missing documents are not provided in time: from now on, the municipality will declare the renewal application inadmissible with an Annex 29 form;
  • the possibility of terminating the student’s residence due to insufficient study progress.

The conditions for obtaining the initial authorisation to stay as a non-EEA student have not changed.

Application for renewal of temporary residence document must be made at least two weeks in advance

Non-EEA students must apply for a renewal of their temporary residence document at least 15 days before the current residence document expires; previously, this had to be done at least a month in advance. However, we recommend that you apply for your residence permit as soon as you have all your exam results.

Clarification of the term ‘insufficient study progress’

The Immigration Service (DVZ/OE) already had the power to terminate your stay if you prolonged your studies excessively. This has now been made concrete in the new regulations.

Whether you make sufficient progress in your studies to maintain your residence depends on the credits you have gained in your study programme.  How many credits you have to gain depends on your programme:

Bachelor’s programme:

  • at least 54 credits obtained after 2 enrolments in the programme;
  • at least 90 credits obtained after 3 enrolments in the programme;
  • at least 135 credits obtained after 4 enrolments in the programme;
  • after 5 enrolments in your 180-credit bachelor’s programme you must have obtained the degree.

Master’s programme:

  • whether or not combined with a bridging or preparation programmeat least 60 credits obtained after 2 enrolments in the programme;
  • whether or not combined with a bridging or preparation programme, at least 120 credits obtained after 3 enrolments in the programme;
  • in addition, you must have obtained a 60-credit master’s degree after 2 enrolments and a 120-credit master’s degree after 3 enrolments in the programme. If this master’s programme is combined with a bridging programme or preparation programme of 30 or more credits, the period within which the student’s residence can be terminated is extended by one extra academic year.

For the calculation of the number of credits obtained, the new regulations only take account of:

1° credits obtained in the current study programme;

2° credits obtained from previous study programmes for which an exemption was granted in the current study programme;

Note! These new rules apply in addition to Hasselt University’s existing study progress measures. To be able to re-enrol, you must therefore comply with both the University’s study progress measures and the conditions set by the Immigration Service. However, the Immigration Service will take account of any study progress monitoring measures that have been imposed if a student or the educational institution is able to provide valid proof of them.

Changing programme

A non-EEA student can still change programme, but must do well in his or her second enrolment. Credits obtained in the student’s first enrolment in another programme are only included in the calculation to the extent that they entitle the student to an exemption in the new programme.

List of documents to be submitted for renewal of student residence permit

The Royal Decree lists the documents that the non-EEA student must submit with the application for the renewal of the residence permit, failing which the application will be deemed inadmissible:

  • Valid passport or equivalent travel document
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof participation exams (see student file: exam results)
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in accordance with Article 60 of the Residence Law
  • 2 Mandatory standard documents to be completed by Hasselt University indicating:
    - for how many credits the student has already passed programme units during the previous academic year and how many credits the student has already acquired in total in the study programme
    - proof of registration for the programme and number of credits for the new academic year
    You can request this 2 standard documents via this Google form; you will need it in order to obtain your residence permit for the academic year 2023-2024 (We can only deliver this after you registered for the new academic year AND your study programme for the upcomming academic year has been approved.)

    If you have your residence in HASSELT: You can email these documents before your appointment to vreemdelingendienst@hasselt.be , mentioning your National identification number.


Health Care

• Dr. B. Van den Berg, Patersplein 3, Diepenbeek, 011 23 50 01
• Dr. G. Lambrichts, Wijkstraat 11, Diepenbeek, 011 35 20 99
• Dr. P. Decoutere, Willekensmolenstraat 135, Hasselt, 011 22 51 52
• Dr. A. De Graaf, Thonissenlaan 35, Hasselt, 011 22 33 12
Or check the website: www.mediwacht.be

• Dentist Luc Cosemans, Ganzebroekstraat 10, Diepenbeek, 011 32 18 01
• Dentist Chris Kruijen, Marktplein 38, Diepenbeek, 011 32 13 83
• Dentist-centre CMT, Luikersteenweg 232 b2, Hasselt, 011 28 45 45
• Dentist-centre Molaar, Maastrichtersteenweg 198/1, Hasselt, 011 76 28 68

Eye doctor:
• Dr. K. Noben, Stationsstraat 88, Diepenbeek, 011 33 11 22

• Virga Jesse Campus, Stadsomvaart 11, Hasselt, 011 33 55 11
• Salvator Campus, Salvatorstraat 20, Hasselt, 011 28 91 11

Urgent medical assistance:
• 112 (= international emergency number)

Medical assistance at night and during the weekend:
• Doctor: one central number: 011 33 65 33

Detox centre: (for all kinds of intoxication) +32 70 245 245

Upon return

When you leave Belgium permanently, you must submit your Belgian residency permit to the town hall or city hall. If you leave during the academic year, you must also inform the Student Administration of Hasselt University.

A number of banks offer the possibility to close your account or change your address online. If this is not possible, it is best to do so in person or send the bank a registered letter.

If necessary, your degree can be legalised before you leave. A Belgian degree is often only recognised abroad if it has been legalised. Legalisation is the process of authentication of the signature on degrees, certificates and pass certificates.

The legalisation process often takes place in the following three consecutive phases:

1. Legalisation by the Flemish Community

Ministry of Education and Training, Personnel Dept.
Hendrik Conscience building, Tower B Room 1B14
Koning Albert II-laan 15, 1210 BRUSSELS

Open on Monday from 09:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 16:00 and on Wednesday from 14:00 to 16:00
Free of charge
More information: https://www.vlaanderen.be/en/studying/recognition-flemish-diploma-or-certificate-abroad

2. Legalisation by the Federal Public Service of Foreign Affairs

FPS Foreign Affairs, Legalisation Services
Karmelietenstraat 27
1000 Brussels

Open from Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 12:30 and from13:30 to 15:30
Charge: €20.00 per document

3. Legalisation by the embassy of the destination country

You can search for the embassy of your country on this website: http://diplomatie.belgium.be/nl/Diensten/ambassades_en_consulaten/