Upon return

Deregistration - Leaving Belgium

Notify town hall when you leave Belgium, as failure to do so may have implications for your future visa applications and travel. This notification ensures that your residency status is properly updated in the official records.

To notify the town hall of your departure, please follow these steps:

  1. Contact the town hall in your place of residence,either by telephone or e-mail
  2. Provide them with the necessary information, such as your full name, current address and date of departure.
  3. Keep a copy of the confirmation or acknowledgment provided by the town hall as proof of your departure notification.

When you leave Belgium permanently, you must submit your Belgian residence permit to the town hall or city hall. If you leave during the academic year, you must also inform the Student Administration of Hasselt University. If you are an ERASMUS student, also inform mrs. Erika Vandersmissen.

Bank account

A number of banks offer the possibility to close your account or change your address online. If this is not possible, it is best to do so in person or send the bank a registered letter.

Legalisation of degree

If necessary, your degree can be legalised before you leave. A Belgian degree is often only recognised abroad if it has been legalised. Legalisation is the process of authentication of the signature on degrees, certificates and pass certificates.

The legalisation process often takes place in the following three consecutive phases:

1. Legalisation by the Flemish Community

Ministry of Education and Training, Personnel Dept.
Hendrik Conscience building, Tower B Room 1B14
Koning Albert II-laan 15, 1210 BRUSSELS

Open on Monday from 09:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 16:00 and on Wednesday from 14:00 to 16:00
Free of charge
More information: https://www.vlaanderen.be/en/certificate-for-the-purpose-of-assisting-the-recognition-of-a-flemish-diploma-abroad

2. Legalisation by the Federal Public Service of Foreign Affairs

FPS Foreign Affairs, Legalisation Services
Karmelietenstraat 27
1000 Brussels

Open from Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 12:30 and from 13:30 to 15:30
Charge: €20.00 per document

3. Legalisation by the embassy of the destination country

You can search for the embassy of your country on this website: http://diplomatie.belgium.be/nl/Diensten/ambassades_en_consulaten/