Visa information

A visa should be applied for at the Belgian Embassy or Consulate in the home country well in advance.
You can check on the following website whether you need a visa to come to Belgium.
Although procedures and documents may vary from country to country, you definitely need an official invitation letter from Hasselt University. You will receive this invitation letter as soon as possible after admission.
There are three types of visa for Europe:

  • Visa C for stays of up to 3 months
  • Visa D for stays longer than 3 months
  • The scientific visa for researchers who come to work (not study) in Belgium

Please note that visa applications are the responsibility of the incoming student or guest.

Visa C or Schengen visa for stays less than 3 months

Certain European countries have entered into an agreement regarding the opening of their borders to international visitors. In effect, a new type of visa - the Schengen Visa - has been introduced by the member countries. This visa covers a short-stay period of a maximum of 90 days (three months) within a six-month period and allows the holder to travel freely between all the Schengen member states. The Schengen Visa is also referred to as Visa Type C.

Schengen countries
Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

  • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Consulate or Embassy of that particular country.
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply at the Consulate or Embassy of the country which is your main destination.
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you must apply at the Consulate or Embassy of the country which is your first point of entry.
  • If you do not need a visa for the Schengen country which is your main destination or first point of entry, note that you may be required to have a visa for other Schengen countries you wish to visit. You should therefore apply at the Consulate or Embassy of the first Schengen country which does require you to have a visa.

Countries that do not require a visa to enter Belgium for a short period of up to three months

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Estonia, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Korea (South), Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, the United States of America, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela
However, always check at

Visa D or Authorisation for Provisional Sojourn for stays longer than 3 months

This particular type of visa (in Dutch: Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf) allows the holder to stay in Belgium for a period longer than three months. This visa is also referred to as Visa Type D. For non-EEA Students, the Authorisation for Provisional Sojourn is also commonly known as the ‘Student Visa’.

As a rule, students must apply for this visa at the Belgian Consulate or Embassy in their own country or in the country where they legally reside, and not from the public authorities in Belgium itself. If there is no Belgian Consulate or Embassy in their home country, they may submit their application at the Belgian Consulate or Embassy in a neighbouring country.

Non-EEA researchers and visiting professors are also required to apply for the Authorisation for Provisional Sojourn in order to enter and stay in Belgium for a period longer than three months. They may therefore apply for a so-called scientific visa.

ATTENTION: non-EEA students should not enter Belgium with a tourist visa if they intend to stay longer than 90 days or three months. The University will not support an application for a change of status or visa.

Fee for visa applications

In March 2015 a new visa fee of € 209 or €366 was set by the Belgian Federal Government. Typically, Master's and PhD-students pay €209. If you come to UHasselt with a so-called Host Agreement, you will need to pay €366.

Students, carrying a scholarship issued by a Belgian Authority (e.g. VLIR or one the universities) are exempt from this tax.

You can find full details (including the payment procedure) in this document.

What is the proof of solvency?

When applying for a visa or a residence permit, students are asked to proof their solvency. Depending on the country, one of the following proofs of solvency may apply:

  • A document certifying that the student has been awarded a study grant or scholarship
  • An agreement for acceptance of financial responsibility (letter of a guarantee) by the so-called Annex 32 (can be done from your home country or in Belgium)
  • A proof of your own financial means by transferring a certain amount to a blocked bank account in Belgium on your name.

In case you would like to use the last option (proof your own financial means), Hasselt University can assist you and provide you a letter to proof solvency.

Preliminary notes:

  • for year students, the amount for a full year must be transferred at once (12 months); the period runs from September 1 st until August 31; However we advise to transfer an extra month (so 13 months instead of the mandatory 12 months)  because of many extra costs for starting up in September. If you decide to transfer 13 months, you will receive a double amount in September.

  • for semester students, 6 months must be paid for, i.e. September 1 st until Feb. 28th; in September a double amount is required because of many extra costs for starting up

  • payment can only be done as described in the document below

  • pls. allow at least 10 days between sending the money and receiving your certificate

All students/guests who need proof of solvency are referred to this document, which describes the full procedure.

For applications for 2024-2025 the final amount is 1000 EURO/month. An additional 100 EURO has to be added for administrative costs.

So the total amount for year students will be 12 x 1000 = 12000 + 100 = 12.100 EURO

For semester students the amount will be 6 x 1000 = 6000 + 100 = 6100 EURO

Kindly send back the fully filled Agreement (see above)  BEFORE sending the money.

Hasselt University will hold this money in your name. Upon your arrival, this amount will be transferred to a blocked account. This account will be blocked for the duration of your studies. You will have to open a Belgian current account on your name. An amount of EUR 1000 will then be transferred within the first 10 days of every month to this account to cover your daily expenses during a study period of one academic year (12 months).