Stop your studies

If you have decided to stop your studies at UHasselt, you need to deregister. Deregistration is possible at any time during the academic year. However, in the academic calendar there is a deregistration deadline listed for each educational period. If you deregister before then:

  • Participation in the exams of that educational period and later is no longer possible
  • Learning account refund
  • Reimbursement of tuition fees
  • If applicable: consequences for your residence permit in Belgium (contact the city hall of residency address to inquire about these consequences)

Change your studies

In case you wish to change your registration to another master’s programme at Hasselt University, a new application for admission is always required. You have to contact Once the deadline for admission has passed, this will always be an admission for the next academic year! Therefore, it’s important to contact your Academic Advisor. He or she can give you information on the timing and consequences of your decision.

Interrupt your studies

If you wish to interrupt your studies at Hasselt University, a new application for admission is always required for the academic year that you wish to start again. You have to contact (keep in mind the deadlines for admission). Interrupting your studies is not without consequences. The credits that you have obtained are and stay valid but the programme might have changed upon your return. In that case, you need to register for this new programme to be able to graduate. Do not hesitate to contact your Academic Advisor with questions.

How to deregister?

  • By submitting the form 'Application form deregistration study programme'. You find this in your academic file/student file (academic file > my programme > deregistration study programme).
  • Do not forget to hand in your student card at the student desk or send it back to the Administration’s Office.